Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Dome light, radio, and clock not working! Need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2020, 01:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1997 Evo 4

I'm having the same issue and although this is an old thread I'm hoping someone can still help me out. I looked under the hood and not only does my fuse box not have this little yellow box everyone is talking about, but according to the fuse box cover there is no fuse in there for the radio at all. Unless I'm just misreading the symbols.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fearghusq
This is as a result of a short occurring most likely in the radio harness.

It happened me while working on a customers car. In my case checked all fuses and they all appeared fine, both those under the hood/bonnet and those underneath the steering wheel.

After studying the workshop electrical schemmatics for the car it appears that the clock, interior lights, central locking receiver and radio permanent live/battery are all on the one line.

In effect damage had occurred after the internal fuse panel, therefore all fuses were ok and supplying power across them, but at some point after there was a break in the wire.

However you DO NOT need to remove dash and or replace harnesses to rectify.

Look at the fuse panel underneath the steering wheel. Slot 18 (bottom RHS) and you will see in raised plastic 'BACK UP'. Inserting a 10A fuse here will restore the interior lights, radio, clock and your central locking.

There is a small plastic piece in the way which prevents a fuse going in. Simply use a thin pair of pliers, scissors or a screwdriver (or similar tool) to break this and all pieces of it away until you are able to insert the 10A mini blade fuse.

Problem Sorted!

(I believe the fact this back up exists is because the designers of electrical system at mitsibushi realised it had shortcomings or this would be a potential problem - and included the back up for such an occurence)

Fearghus Quinn
(7 years experienced auto electrician & owner of Car Audio company in Perth Western Australia)

Note - this is a last resort. First Check all fuses, including the large 40A, 50A & 60A ones under the bonnet - they all lead to the same outputs further along.

Get a multi meter and put it on the continuity setting (the one that beeps when you touch the two probes of multimeter together).

This setting allows you to ensure that there is continuity, ie a connection (no broken fuse/wire) between any two points. place one probe on the metal on LHS of a fuse, place the other on the RHS metal. If it beeps the fuse is sound, if not you know the fuse has blown.

Simple and allows you to check fuses without having to remove each one & visually inspect individually (however some fuses - such as the large ones i mentioned above, will have to be removed and then you use your prongs on the two blades of the fuse)

. Good luck guys! Hope this all helps
I have an 01 GS and fuse panel is on side of dash when U open drivers door. Any idea where my 'back up' location is. I've looked everywhere and cannot locate.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio,clock,dome light, central locking issue

Originally Posted by fearghusq
This is as a result of a short occurring most likely in the radio harness.

It happened me while working on a customers car. In my case checked all fuses and they all appeared fine, both those under the hood/bonnet and those underneath the steering wheel.

After studying the workshop electrical schemmatics for the car it appears that the clock, interior lights, central locking receiver and radio permanent live/battery are all on the one line.

In effect damage had occurred after the internal fuse panel, therefore all fuses were ok and supplying power across them, but at some point after there was a break in the wire.

However you DO NOT need to remove dash and or replace harnesses to rectify.

Look at the fuse panel underneath the steering wheel. Slot 18 (bottom RHS) and you will see in raised plastic 'BACK UP'. Inserting a 10A fuse here will restore the interior lights, radio, clock and your central locking.

There is a small plastic piece in the way which prevents a fuse going in. Simply use a thin pair of pliers, scissors or a screwdriver (or similar tool) to break this and all pieces of it away until you are able to insert the 10A mini blade fuse.

Problem Sorted!

(I believe the fact this back up exists is because the designers of electrical system at mitsibushi realised it had shortcomings or this would be a potential problem - and included the back up for such an occurence)

Fearghus Quinn
(7 years experienced auto electrician & owner of Car Audio company in Perth Western Australia)

Note - this is a last resort. First Check all fuses, including the large 40A, 50A & 60A ones under the bonnet - they all lead to the same outputs further along.

Get a multi meter and put it on the continuity setting (the one that beeps when you touch the two probes of multimeter together).

This setting allows you to ensure that there is continuity, ie a connection (no broken fuse/wire) between any two points. place one probe on the metal on LHS of a fuse, place the other on the RHS metal. If it beeps the fuse is sound, if not you know the fuse has blown.

Simple and allows you to check fuses without having to remove each one & visually inspect individually (however some fuses - such as the large ones i mentioned above, will have to be removed and then you use your prongs on the two blades of the fuse)

. Good luck guys! Hope this all helps
I have an 01 GS....can't find 'back up' location anywhere. My fuse panel is on the drivers side on side of dash. Any idea if I have a back up location?