Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

GREDDY TYPE S BLOW OFF VALVE, troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2003 | 05:38 PM

GREDDY TYPE S BLOW OFF VALVE, troubleshooting

Installed a GREDDY TYPE S Recirculating BOV on my EVO, when recirculating there is no need to adjust the blow off vlaves, but my EVO stalls at low speed from time to time when coming from 1st gear to neutral or low speed driving.
What are the correct adjusment to the spring to fix this little problem.

Other than that BOV is a dream and is still very audible even though it is recirculating.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 1, 2003 | 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

you are suppose to take out the lighter spring inside the valve and even though it is recirculating you still have to adjust it.

anyway what does it sound like on your car
is it like a pssshhhh squeak or is it like the green eclipse in the F & F ?
Old Sep 1, 2003 | 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Pm QuantumEvo

he tuned mine for me
Old Sep 1, 2003 | 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

you should do a search on this subject, this is a tread about this problem and the solution. Here is the short version:

Greddy Type-s has two springs in the BOV, one big and one small. So it is very tight to begin with and take about 22inch in Hg for the BOV to open. What you need to do is to unscrew the six screw holding the top of the BOV together(make sure you hold it tight when unscrewing the last couple of screws, otherwise it'll pop open) and take out the smaller spring within the bigger spring. This will allow the BOV to open under around 16-18 inch in Hg and will still hold around 24 psi. THis should then solve your problem.
Old Sep 1, 2003 | 08:44 PM

svue--
I actually live close to you near south coast plaza. I just bought a type s from dynamic autosports last week. I first installed it to vent to atmosphere and I had terrible idle problems. I then set it up to recirculate with the screw almost all the way out and it worked fine on full boost--but when not on full boost--it makes a fluttering sound (compressor surge?).

So I figured that the spring tension was too much. Then I tried the spring mod.--taking out the smaller spring. When I did this--I had the screw adjusted half way in and the type s seemed to have a steady stream of air coming out at idle. Let me know if you can find the right set up (screw adjustment, how many springs?) I have since put my stock bypass valve back in.
Old Sep 1, 2003 | 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know what's wrong with your BOV but mine is just doing fine. I don't have to take out the small spring. Ever since I installed the BOV, my car doesn't stall and no problems with idle. The sound is just right. I got the screw on top adjusted way up.
Old Sep 1, 2003 | 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

mine works fine also

solar

what does yours sound like

pshh squeak or like the green eclipse on fast and furious
Old Sep 1, 2003 | 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

I think it sound like psss squeak
Old Sep 5, 2003 | 11:08 AM

REPORT:
Took out the lighter spring and everything went smooth, no more idling problems...

thanks
Old Sep 6, 2003 | 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same problem with it leaking at idle....is there anything we can do here?
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 07:59 AM

I installed a Greddy Type S blow off for my 98 EVO5, I even use VTA format, not recirculating format and I don't have any problem with idle at all. But if u really have problem with idle, u can always install a electronic device from HKS called ELDS (Idle stabilizer), then it will cure the problem.
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 08:07 AM

I installed a Greddy Type S blow off for my 98 EVO5, I even use VTA format, not recirculating format and I don't have any problem with idle at all. But if u really have problem with idle, u can always install a electronic device from HKS called ELDS (Idle stabilizer), then it will cure the problem.
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

honestly.. the Type S sounds better then the HKS bov.. but The hks i believe holds boost a lot better.. and it runs better also...
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

I have mine VTA (HKS SS) and it runs better than when I had it recirculating. I have a S-afc II which has an idle stabilizer function built in too and now I have no problems. Runs and sounds awesome!
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

i need to wait for my ecu harness so i can put in the safc-2......screw this im gonna sell my type-s