Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Wideband O2 sensor install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2007, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Also, on a turbo charged car, you should mount it as far downstream from the turbo as possible, but still in front of the cat
+1
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great thread, thanks for the info.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very helpful,=)
Old Mar 9, 2008, 06:50 AM

just got my wideband shipped for 245. if you could post how to wire it ide appreciate it also
Old Mar 9, 2008, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Hiya,

Just got done getting an Innovative Motorsports LM-1 Lambda Meter installed (with some help from Mac Autosport ). Turned out to be a lot easier than I had anticipated - actually I could almost swear anticipated this, hehe. The exhaust I'm using is a Vishnu Signature Series, but this procedure should work for most Evo exhausts. Here's basically what we had to do:

1. Weld the O2 bung to the end of the downpipe, basically mounting it right before the cat (which is where Innovative recommends it to be placed on a turbo car) and on top of the downpipe. Again, Innovative recommends that the O2 sensor be mounted above a horizontal plane, so I figure that mounting it vertically is perfect

2. Removed a rubber grommet located right above where the O2 sensor will mount. This opened up a passage right into the passenger-side footwell, terminating behind the center divider (I'll take a pic of the location later).

3. Mount the exhaust

4. Drop the O2 sensor down from inside the car (you may or may not have to make the existing hole larger). We ended up making the hole slightly larger on mine ... at 9pm we just didn't have the patience to try to fit it through the existing hole.

5. Screw the O2 sensor into the bung.

As it stands, the cable from the O2 sensor is exactly long enough to terminate right next to the glove box behind the dash. So far the LM-1 seems to be very accurate. On my dyno runs, I was using it to compare the AF readings of the dyno vs. the LM-1 and it looked right on. However I won't be able to tell exactly how accurate it is until I figure out how to get the logs into my computer and read them, hehe. I guess it's time to RTFM

l8r)
exactly the way mine is on the signature series exhaust i got from Vishnu.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

do you leave your stock primary sensor in or plug it??
Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

mines in not sure why youd plug it..... unless you full a stand alone
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:07 AM

Can someone shed light on the wiring of the lc-1. Specifically what wire for the
12v switched supply?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FlintownKilla
Can someone shed light on the wiring of the lc-1. Specifically what wire for the
12v switched supply?
I'm getting ready to install an LC-1 also which is why I'm reading here.

To find a 12v switched source just get a 12v tester (normally a simple light tester that you can poke wires with will work fine). Then check a few wires by first making sure the light doesn't come on when the tester is attached.. then if the light comes on when you turn your ignition on you've got a switched 12v source. Just about everything electronic on the car has a 12v switched wire that you can tap, it just depends on where you are under the dash to find something. You can use a volt meter also, but I think the simple 12v light tester is easier to use.

I'm kind of confused on calibrating the LC-1 though. Did most of you do this before you installed it... like on a bench with a 12v battery? Or did you install everything including the LED and button then calibrate it? I know you have to have it disconnected first and then in free air for the calibrations which makes me think I'm going to just do it before I install it... but then I have to ground everything somewhere too and I'm not sure if it will matter if I change the ground to inside the car after calibrating.

I'm no electrician by any means... just trying to get this thing in and working correctly.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

I just installed one. PM if you need any help because I know what a pita this is!
Old Apr 24, 2008, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Man Helped Out Alot

Dgh
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:41 PM

As far as the power wiring, I would recommend looking for a spare switched 12 volt source in the fuse box. I think the heater on a Bosch wideband O2 sensor only uses about 10 Watts of power (less than 1 Amp at 12 Volts). Figure out the maximum current draw of everything you want to put on that output from the fuse box and put a slightly higher fuse in. That would be the safest way to wire it up.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:46 AM

In reading the instructions for my LC-1 install, they suggest that the blue and white wires use the same ground slug and it be as close to the ecu's ground as possible. I thought, what the hell, and bought an ECU patch harness with the intention of tapping it's ground pin for the WB 02 sensor. While I'm at it, might as well use it as a 12v switched (and fused or course) source for the WB. Any objections?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nevonate
In reading the instructions for my LC-1 install, they suggest that the blue and white wires use the same ground slug and it be as close to the ecu's ground as possible. I thought, what the hell, and bought an ECU patch harness with the intention of tapping it's ground pin for the WB 02 sensor. While I'm at it, might as well use it as a 12v switched (and fused or course) source for the WB. Any objections?
Anyone?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Personally, I wouldn't tap into the ECU harness. I can't remember where I grounded my LC-1 ... I"ll have to check.

l8r)

Quick Reply: Wideband O2 sensor install