Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Wideband O2 sensor install

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Wideband O2 sensor install

Hiya,

Just got done getting an Innovative Motorsports LM-1 Lambda Meter installed (with some help from Mac Autosport ). Turned out to be a lot easier than I had anticipated - actually I could almost swear anticipated this, hehe. The exhaust I'm using is a Vishnu Signature Series, but this procedure should work for most Evo exhausts. Here's basically what we had to do:

1. Weld the O2 bung to the end of the downpipe, basically mounting it right before the cat (which is where Innovative recommends it to be placed on a turbo car) and on top of the downpipe. Again, Innovative recommends that the O2 sensor be mounted above a horizontal plane, so I figure that mounting it vertically is perfect

2. Removed a rubber grommet located right above where the O2 sensor will mount. This opened up a passage right into the passenger-side footwell, terminating behind the center divider (I'll take a pic of the location later).

3. Mount the exhaust

4. Drop the O2 sensor down from inside the car (you may or may not have to make the existing hole larger). We ended up making the hole slightly larger on mine ... at 9pm we just didn't have the patience to try to fit it through the existing hole.

5. Screw the O2 sensor into the bung.

As it stands, the cable from the O2 sensor is exactly long enough to terminate right next to the glove box behind the dash. So far the LM-1 seems to be very accurate. On my dyno runs, I was using it to compare the AF readings of the dyno vs. the LM-1 and it looked right on. However I won't be able to tell exactly how accurate it is until I figure out how to get the logs into my computer and read them, hehe. I guess it's time to RTFM

l8r)

Attached Thumbnails Wideband O2 sensor install-o2_bung_location_in_front_of_cat.jpg   Wideband O2 sensor install-o2_sensor_install_and_routing.jpg  

Last edited by Ludikraut; May 6, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Post Interior pics of the setup

Ok, here's two more pics, just to show where the wire comes into the interior and where the plug terminates...

l8r)

Attached Thumbnails Wideband O2 sensor install-o2_sensor_cable_entry_location.jpg   Wideband O2 sensor install-o2_sensor_cable_plug_location.jpg  

Last edited by Ludikraut; May 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 08:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice install! I mounted my wideband up front by the curve of the downpipe. I figured if the stock 02 can survive the heat of the turbo being a few inches away the wideband will also be OK. I also plan to remove it and fuss with other cars, so mounting it accesible was important. The place were you put it looks factory, good job. Did you get the RPM module? If you didn't get it! It makes the Logworks so much more usefull.

Gil-superz
Old Jun 14, 2004, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

I was wondering if the sensor would burn up on the Wideband...so whats the word on leaving the gauge/sensor installed permanately?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

The sensor should be fine if you leave it in and turned on all the time ... as to for how long is debatable, but I think the minimum that most ppl agree on is 40k miles. Also, on a turbo charged car, you should mount it as far downstream from the turbo as possible, but still in front of the cat, otherwise the sensor may get too hot and give inaccurate readings and/or break down completely from the heat. There are some good threads on this from Innovative (both on their site and off some links here on evoM).

Yeah, I will definitely get the RPM module ... Vishnu also has something in the works for the LM-1 and I am really waiting for Innovative's remote display module.

l8r)
Old Jun 15, 2004, 07:05 AM
EvoM Guru

The o2 sensor that the Innovate uses is a regular Bosch sensor out of a VW bettle turbo or Gti, it should be good for as long as a regular sensor is good for, 100miles should be ok. When using race fuel that is leaded you will kill the sensor shortly.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

nice install
Old Sep 21, 2005, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Bringing this one back from the dead.

I'll be installing my RPM converter in my EVO this weekend and I wanted to know where and what people have tapped for their signals?

RPM = <1.0v
TPS = 1v - 5v
IAT = 1v - 5v

any other information would be helpful.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

I tapped the RPM out signal off of the ECU, pinout 56 or 58 i believe....check www.roadraceengineering.com for the ECU pinouts.

I haven't tapped any others yet, just installed it yesterday.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for that link, I completely forgot about that page.

You have the LMA-2 RPM converter correct? does that tach signal read correctly for you? That is where I have my SAFC spliced into but I tried to use the tach signal from the ECU on another car and it didn't work.

Also you need to know the voltages of the other signal lines so you can configure the range in LOGWORKS when you datalog. I have a multimeter but I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical stuff...
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead just to recommend to the moderators that it be put into the How-To forum. It's very useful.

Good job, Ludikraut!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superz
Nice install! I mounted my wideband up front by the curve of the downpipe. I figured if the stock 02 can survive the heat of the turbo being a few inches away the wideband will also be OK. I also plan to remove it and fuss with other cars, so mounting it accesible was important. The place were you put it looks factory, good job. Did you get the RPM module? If you didn't get it! It makes the Logworks so much more usefull.

Gil-superz
wide band sensors has a heater in them to maintain ~750C. they need to be mounted in a cooler/further away than the narrow band
Old Sep 23, 2006, 06:40 PM
Former Sponsor

EvoScan can datalog the LM1 along with other factory ecu sensors quite nicely, its what I'm using with my LM-1, http://www.limitless.co.nz/EvoScan
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...-ecuwiring.htm
Old Jul 7, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the post! Can you show pics and locations of the wiring? I think that's the hardest part for me is to figure out how to wire the LC-1. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Wideband O2 sensor install