Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Article on Evo Box removal please!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003 | 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

also, I seem to have to remove the clamp holding the grommet to the turbo but the bolt for the clamp is under the turbo, how do i get that off?
Old Sep 16, 2003 | 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't have to go near the turbo to get the airbox off.
Old Sep 16, 2003 | 03:53 PM

When I did my MBC install, I removed my air box, upper intercooler pipes and hoses to the throttle body and the fan (remove connectors for the fan). No need for air tools just a 10mm socket and a 6 inch extender for the ratchet. I loosened the clamp for the turbo on the air box side and removed the cable connection for the MAF and the wire holder from the front underside of the air box and pull the airbox out.

On a side note, As soon as the fan was off, the access to the turbo is easy. Just be carfull not to damage the radiator when removing the fan. Then you will ahve easy access to the clamp on the turbo.
Old Sep 16, 2003 | 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

You could always try what other people did to try and remove the 4 nuts holding the MAF to the air box. Vice grips/wrenches which everyone had broken off the bottom plastics tabs holding the bolts from spinning as well as hitting the honeycombs. Do a search and you will fine that thread. If you use air tools (impact wrench), you damage nothing removing the MAF from the air box.
Old Sep 20, 2003 | 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I took mine out with out Air tools. First start by using the directions above once you get the MAS/Air Box off tape the opening inside the air box where the honey comb is with your choice of tape. I used duct tape. The key to it is TORQUE!!! The little plastic tabs will stay in tact if you torque the **** out of the nuts. Put the 10mm socket wrench on it and torque it as quick as possible.. A long slow turn will crack the plastic tabs. I found out the hard way and broke 2 plastic tabs then the 3rd i tried this and it worked no broken tab and the nut came right off. The 4th I wasn't that lucky either and broke the tab.... So if you break all the tabs extcept 1 like me! try a square head wrench (12mm) the plastic tabs must be broken off so you can get the wrench around the flat sides of the funky *** Ghetto rigged bolts. Hope this helps those of you without air tools.