Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Article on Evo Box removal please!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2003, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Article on Evo Box removal please!!!

can someone do a step-by-step w/ pics on how to remove the air box? i'm having the hardest time trying to do it. i know theres a thread somewhere on this but its only talking about the MAP honeycomb thing...i need to know how to physically remove the box itself from step one. i think a few fellow members on the board need it too...thanks so much!
Old Sep 11, 2003, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Its very easy:

The airbox basically has three parts. The cold air duct, the top half of the airbox held by 4 clips and the bottom airbox held by two bolts (they are visible) and is connected to the MAS.

1. Remove the top half of the airbox (the 4 metal clips) and remove it from the cold air duct.
2. The cold air duct piece is held by two pop in type pins. I used a screwdriver with duct tape/electrical tape on the end and just stuck it underneath the cold air duct between the metal and pushed the screwdriver up, it would be best to put your hand over the pins as they just pop off.
3. Remove the stock filter.
4. Remove the two bolts on the front side of the air box and right side of the airbox. Now the airbox will move freely, however it is still attached to the MAS which is attached to the stock rubber intake hose which is attached to the turbo.
5. Now loosen the clamp holding the stock rubber hose intake to MAS (a philips screwdriver will do). After you loosen the clamp enough, the MAS and bottom part of the airbox should come off.
6. The best suggestion I can say about removing the MAS from the airbox (as pointed out by someone else on the forums) is to use air tools. There are 4 nuts to remove. However, you will notice that the bolts on the otherside is being held by plastic and if you try and use a ratchet to remove the nuts, the bolts will turn and break the plastic.
7. DID YOU USE THE AIRTOOLS?
8. You sure you used airtools? If you didn't you will realize what a mistake it was not using air tools. If you did, you will realize it took about 20 seconds to remove all 4 nuts.
9. Alright good, your done.

I can include pics if there are enough people who would like that.

Last edited by sophis; Sep 11, 2003 at 11:57 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

pics would be great! im having trouble to remove the rubber intake horse to the MAS...the clamp on my car is facing to the side so i can't get any tools to it...any tips?

thanks so much!
Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SzuChenEvo
pics would be great! im having trouble to remove the rubber intake horse to the MAS...the clamp on my car is facing to the side so i can't get any tools to it...any tips?

thanks so much!
Removing the battery would make this job a lot easier.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

I found after removing the two bolts holding the airbox down that I could slightly twist the airbox a little to get a philips screwdriver in to loosen the clamps. You could remove the battery as ReHeat suggested, but you should be able to loosen the clamp with a screwdriver without removing the battery.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Is there anway to just remove the resonator on the airbox?
Old Sep 12, 2003, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by YEVOVIII
Is there anway to just remove the resonator on the airbox?
Resonator???
Old Sep 12, 2003, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
What are airtools ?
Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

heh..forgot the space once or twice. Air tools...
Old Sep 13, 2003, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

I just did this last night to install a grounding kit. I had a hell of a time getting the rubber hose off, it was stuck on there pretty good. I was able to get to the clamp with a ratchet & about a 3" extension.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb question, people keep saying there are three bolts holding the airbox down, but I only see two? Where is the other bolt int he front (one is obvious). I removed those two (obvious one in front and one on right) and started to loosen the hose when I installed my MBC, but I ended up bagging it and installing the MBC from below.

Still I may need to take the airbox out sometime, heh.

Thanks,

FB
Old Sep 14, 2003, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

BigBoogieman,
Were you trying to reach the tranny bolt by removing the airbox? Actually, I found out that you can reach the tranny bolt by just removing the battery.

berkel,
There are only 2 bolts holding the airbox, here is a pic from AbusiveWombat
Old Sep 14, 2003, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL,

Thanks man, I thought I was friggin crazy and I couldn't find the third bolt... I know, I'm an idiot.

Take care,

FB
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

I removed the whole air box, and most of the intake, then removed the battery anyway (cuz it was easyer to get at the stuff for my ground kit)

leave the airbox/intake and just pull the battery, WAYY easyer and everything is nice and visible
Old Sep 16, 2003, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

anyone know how to take off the bolts without using air tools?

Quick Reply: Article on Evo Box removal please!!!