Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Oil Supply Line to turbo question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Supply Line to turbo question

I am going to be running the fp red and i got a new oil supply line from them as well. I was wondering where else i could run the line from since it says on there website to rethink about running the oil supply line from the head for this turbo. This is right off forcedperformance website under the FAQs. Any ideas?

Q. Why do people say it's not good to get oil feed for the turbo off the cylinder head? Should I use a filter on my oil supply line to my turbo?
A. There are plenty of people who have oiled their turbo off the head and not had any problems, there are just as many if not more that have done it and had recurring turbo failure that was only vaguely described by the repair shop as "poor lubrication".
Oil pressure in the cylinder head on a stock 4G63 engine can be less than 5psi at times, while this may be enough oil for a factory 14b, T25 or even 20g it isn't enough to feed the high volume oil passages of the modified thrust setup in your FPGreen or FPRed model turbo. The Garrett severe duty 360 thrust setups also have an increased appetite for lubrication. Think twice before feeding either of these type turbos from the head.

Remember that you aren't just trying to keep some oil on the bearing, you are trying to float one piece of metal above another piece of metal on a pressurized film of oil, and at the same time keep the whole mess cool enough not to melt. A constant high volume stream of oil does just that, a measly trickle will send you back to the turbo shop.

One exception to this is the Ballistic Concepts Ball Bearing CHRA from Garrett. These turbochargers are totally different internally. Their operation is actually impeded by too much oil. It is fine to supply these turbos with oil from the head. In fact the oil line we offer comes from the head and features a .8mm orifice to restrict the oil flow to the turbo . These turbos require water cooling in the absence of the typical high volume of oil that would normally provide stable temperatures.

As far as filters go, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. You shouldn't need one in your oil line. Failures occur due to dirt/grit in the oil making it into the turbocharger. Failures also occur due to plugged filters. We have seen it both ways. If you are going to use a filter, check it often. The most important thing you can do to avoid oil contamination of you turbo is to THUROUGHLY wash everything more than once before assembling your engine. Avoid sandblasting anything that goes inside or onto the engine. Specifically avoid sandblasting your valve cover. If you suspect that the machine shop that did your valve job sandblasted your head then make sure you remove the 4 plugs from each end of the head that cover the ends of the oil gallies and wash the gallies out with HOT SOAPY WATER. If you do this you will be amazed at what comes out of your beautifully machined freshly rebuilt head.

If you think all that is a bunch of crap, at least spin the engine over to prime the oil system without the turbo attached so that anything in the gallies has a chance to flush out instead of flush into your new turbo.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

I asked that a few months ago. The recommendation for extra oil pressure for the FP turbos is for DSM FP turbos. For Evo FP turbos, the oil pressure from the head is enough.

Last edited by Evolessfornow; Feb 27, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes id like to know too. where would people that have the ''stock appearing turbos'' get this new line from and what would you do with the old factory line off the head. so would you have to get it custom installed oil line put in or what?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:31 PM

anyone else have ideas or thoughts concerning this??? still confused on what to do about this. thanks
Old Feb 28, 2009, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

so nobody out there run their oil line differnt from stock?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:33 AM

anyone?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

come one people i know someone has some more info my red is coming this week
Old Mar 1, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

bump.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:34 AM