Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

S-AFC new users guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 95GSXtoEVO8
[B]

Wasn't I the first one to suggest this in my previous post? Oh well I guess I was being a little to subtle.
My bad! Just trying to give Jack more props since he helped me so much, heh.

As for knock sensor, make sure you calibrate when the car is really, really warmed up. I'm definitely not an expert, but from the other threads I've picked up that it may indicate numbers, but they're not necessarily knock, nor are they necessarily that bad. One poster stated that Apexi said that readings below 50 were "ok". With the colder weather, it's possible to make "too much" boost and settings may be too aggressive now. IF you do a wot run, check the peak reading in monitor mode to see how high it hit. I hit around 40-50, but once in awhile it will go to 120-140. Per other threads, this still isn't too bad, but at some point the ecu will really retard timing.

When I first had it set up, I used a canned setting from the forum and I think it was too aggressive with cold weather and my mbc set to ~19-20 psi. Car felt like it stumbled a little and it may have been the ecu retarding timing. I showed a peak of ~180 or so. Oh well, hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in. Otherwise, do a search for SAFC knock and check out the previous threads...

Take care,

FB
Old Dec 1, 2003, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by berkel

My bad! Just trying to give Jack more props since he helped me so much, heh.

FB
No problem, I think he's helped everyone on evoM at least once.

As for your response, I did do some searching prior to posting, the guy who said below 50 was ok got that from Apexi and I don't trust information that doesn't come from someone who is familiar with our particular engine. I would rather hear from an evoM member. As for the graphing, thats a great idea, I will def set that up. Your comment of possible "timing retard" at a knock count of ~180 is the best response I've heard regarding this issue. Hopefully more people will chime in on my new thread.

I hope it's ok that I started a new thread on this instead of continuing with this one. I'm not sure what the correct protocol is, I am new to this site. Also if people continue to write about this issue in this thread, I hope a mod or someone can move it to my new thread. Please excuse my newbieness.

Last edited by 95GSXtoEVO8; Dec 1, 2003 at 03:46 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Alright fella's, used the pink and orange wire and.....car runs perfect. 25-30 hz (was at 60 when first started up, then settled down as the rpm's went down) and idle is where it should be. No CEL. My only question now is I am not getting any readings for my Afl.

What does this mean? Is the car not getting an accurate reading? Would the AFC still adjust the fuel?

Thanks again guys, you have been more than helpful (especially MalibuJack). I can't express how much I appreciate your help in this matter. You guys basically walked me through every possible thing. Once again, THANKS!!!

On guys, quit hi-jacking my thread! ::
Old Dec 1, 2003, 04:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the AFL setting probably will never read anything.. since your using a Karmann sensor.. So the KAR value is what is important.. Basically the items I monitor are

RPM
KAR
COR
TPS

as long as TPS is 0 at idle, and 100% at about 3/4 throttle, and KAR remains around 30hz and climbs to 1500 or more at higher rpms.. you should be good..
Old Dec 1, 2003, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Systems check out ok. Thanks Jack!
Old Dec 1, 2003, 08:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Excellent.. Another happy EvoM-er.. Is that right?? hehe..
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:27 PM

Smile

hi malibu jack,

I got my safc-II and installed it to my EVO IV RS. It ran well but my engine detonated when I used a Bozzspeed ECU from Japan. So its back to the shop for new pistons.

I am confused on how to lean or rich the fuel mixture via an SAFC. My question is- to avoid detonation, do we set-up the air correction to more negative values like -17% or positive values like 1% at 6000-7000 rpm.

I used the Buschur SAFC with their settings on a Bozzspeed ECU on 94 octane. After four passes at the drag strip, the car detonated. There was a knocking sound so I brought it back to the shop- piston no. 1 seized. The tip of the spark plugs got zapped and was gone.

-----------------
1996 EVO IV RS, HKS power flow, 3" Tanabe racing Medallion, SAFC-II, Thrust 2-75" downpipes, Bozzspeed ECU, creative equipment MBC, 255 walbro pumps, stock turbo stock injectors, cat delete
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

maybe i have issues... my karman isn't reading at all... hmmm. and what is the option that i have to do to be able to vent to atmosphere? i tried searching, but it isn't saying anything...