Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

autometer mech .boost gauge, help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question autometer mech .boost gauge, help!

Let me start out by saying I am no gear head. with that said I got a couple q's.

where is a good spot to go through the firewall, do I need to drill or is there a place I can run it through

is it better to use a copper hose instead of the plastic one they gave me.

where do you run the line and wires through the stearing colum(bushar gauge pod)

any pics to assist me, I saw the picks of the defi gauge, will the setup be the same

thanx

Last edited by Sano; Oct 23, 2003 at 12:09 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

doing this today 5pm central time any help would be great
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

anyone
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Sano-Try this link, I think it might be helpfull. I taped into 3 inch line between the fuel pressure reguletor and the intake plenum instead of the way it's done there. You will find that line on the left side of the plenum, it runs into a small gold colored box attached to the sde of the intake. it is only about six inches from hole in the firewall. If you have any problems do a search and you will find more info. Search: boost gauge install. I used the Buschur pod too. It worked out great. http://www.collectracecars.com/evo/mechgaugeinstall.htm
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:12 PM

Here's a link I found through the forum search for the "how-to" I used to install my boost gauge.

http://www.collectracecars.com/evo/mechgaugeinstall.htm

Hope this helps..
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Hey, that looks familiar.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

where should i tap into for the most accurate boost reading,

better signal from the fuel pressure reg or the intake man
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:37 PM

ok ok.. you beat me to it
I might copy you on where you tapped into get your pressure readings. It seems like it would be a cleaner install (shorter tube, more hidden, and not cooking over the intake plenum).. so thanks!!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

The amall hose I described works great. The hose they suplied won't reach to the other one. You have to extend it with a peice of hose either way but, the one I hooked into was shortes route and looksclean, too. It's hard to hide the hoses when you run them all the way across the top of the motor. Hope that helps.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Bernardio. This sites not big enough for the both of us..... Just kiddin. Now seriously, may I have my brain back please...Thanx
Old Oct 23, 2003, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a website that will get you through the firewall, but you will have to drill to be able to do it. It looks to be the shortest route from the engine bay to the center dash.

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?techID=10

I have an autometer mechanical gauge like you have and here is what I did. First go to the autoparts store and pick up some vaccum hose that is the same size as the one that is on top of the valve cover. You will want to tap the vaccum line that is going into the intake manifold after the throttle body. It is the same hose that is coming from the BOV. At the autoparts store pickup some vaccum hose, a "T" fitting, and some hose clamps. The "T" fitting I used was a 1/4"x1/4"x1/4". I first put the clear plastic tubing that came with the gauge in into a fitting that has a threaded male end on the other side, I think the smaller of the two brass fittings. Put it inside a new piece of vaccum hose that I bought at the auto parts store and put a clamp on that section, you can make this hose as long as you like it but it is pretty thick to run through the firewall besides the one that is supplied with the meter. Next I put the other end of the vaccum hose on the "T" connection I bought and put that in between the vaccum hose that is running into the intake manifold after the throttle body coming from the BOV. I "T" into the hose on top of the valve cover because it is easy to access, also I put hose clamps on each side of the "T" connection. Now run the clear plastic boost line through the firewall and hook it up to the gauge per the instructions and hook up the light and you are done.

If you have any questions IM me.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

well I installed it. It took me 4 hours. It works but I think I am going to have to redo my t thing.

hit somewhere 18-19 then drops to 17. I figure that is about right. I will take pics later. I made my T out of metal bracket things I got from the part store, but I think I need more tubing for the T it seems short and it could blow off.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

U can get a plastic T fitting in the size I mentioned above at the auto parts store. The have ridges on the end so the hose will stay on better. O'reilly has them.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Just specify that you need a vacuum or emisions related T fitting at the parts counter. They will know what you are looking for. They are usualy white or black in color.