Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

VDO Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy VDO Gauge Install

Hello.

I recently ordered VDO gauges (Oil temp/press and boost) from 42 Draft Designs.
I've been using this page as a guide as well as searching the forums here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...php?cat=&id=45

Only difference is I have the AMS remote line.

I've connected all the wires to the right location but for some reason, I'm not getting any readings (besides my boost, that is working fine). My oil temp barely moves, but I guess its a good sign. It barely passes 120F. It is like 20-40 degrees here but it should rise a little bit while I'm driving right?

And my oil pressure doesn't move at all. I'm thinking it's because the sender isn't grounded but the remote line is SS so it should just ground itself.

I have no idea what needs to be done. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tokie; Jan 6, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
double check everything here, especially teflon tape to ground the senders:
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/instal...on4Volume1.pdf

LMK if that doesn't cure all, just finished this exact project on saturday w/wideband instead of oil temp
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MEVOLV3
double check everything here, especially teflon tape to ground the senders:
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/instal...on4Volume1.pdf

LMK if that doesn't cure all, just finished this exact project on saturday w/wideband instead of oil temp
Thanks for the reply.

Everything looks right. I just read on another site that teflon tape will affect the sender's ground. I might get a t-bolt and wrap it around to ground it the the chassis. I'll update if it works.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You can't rely on a whip hose or any fitting wrapped in teflon for a good ground. I've never liked that style sensor for that reason.

I've seen some people put a ring terminal that fits snugly on the threaded neck of the sensor and run that back to ground on the back of the gauge to get a good ground and ensure the sensor and gauge are on the same ground plane. That would seem to be the best option to me for these types of sensors.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
You can't rely on a whip hose or any fitting wrapped in teflon for a good ground. I've never liked that style sensor for that reason.

I've seen some people put a ring terminal that fits snugly on the threaded neck of the sensor and run that back to ground on the back of the gauge to get a good ground and ensure the sensor and gauge are on the same ground plane. That would seem to be the best option to me for these types of sensors.
I thought about doing that but I didn't want to risk draining my oil again.

well, I don't know what happened but it started working randomly. my pressure reads normal. my oil temp still doesn't move but I'm assuming its because I connected it to my drain plug Just stays a constant 125F - 130F. And its pretty cold here right now.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

In my Nissan, I'm using VDO gauges and I have the oil pressure sender connected using a stainless braid line. I didn't have to ground the sender for it to work properly. Using the stainless line is a must, since it takes the weight of the sender off the threads, since I have 2 adapters break and leak badly. Having the oil temp sender in the pan is the best since you are reading the sump temp. Keep in mind that you have an oil cooler and it's cold outside, so oil temps are going to be lower than water temps, and not warm up as fast.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by eric06ix
In my Nissan, I'm using VDO gauges and I have the oil pressure sender connected using a stainless braid line. I didn't have to ground the sender for it to work properly. Using the stainless line is a must, since it takes the weight of the sender off the threads, since I have 2 adapters break and leak badly. Having the oil temp sender in the pan is the best since you are reading the sump temp. Keep in mind that you have an oil cooler and it's cold outside, so oil temps are going to be lower than water temps, and not warm up as fast.
thanks for the info. I feel much more comfortable. everything works fine now.
now I'm just debating if I should get a water temp as well. just don't know where I would tap it.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

This would work: http://www.42draftdesigns.com/catego...ncer_water.htm