Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to replace valve seals

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to replace valve seals

I bought a set of the supertech valve seals for my car. (03 Evo VIII)

I cant for the life of me find a write up or any direction on how to replace these seals. I do understand that i need to remove the spring retainer and keepers obviously but what then? Does the old seal slide out and i can slide on the new seal? I just kind of want to know what im doing once i have the spring off because i will be doing this with the head on the car. I dont want to risk dropping a valve into the chamber during this. So minimizing time with the spring/retainer off is better in my eyes. Of course i will have the cylinder pressurized too.

Any help would be great.

right now i have the timing belt off and the valve cover off. Im about to removed the cams.

Also i plan on bleeding the lifters even though they werent making noise before. But it was recomended to ensure that is not the cause for my "phantom knock" issues.

Thanks for any help guys
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So i just removed the cams and got to take a close look at how they are in there now. And i think ive confirmed that indeed they are bad. Mostly the exhaust valve seals but nontheless most of them are clearly damaged.

Below you can see that the spring wich im assuming makes the seal on the end of the stem by applying pressure is actually broken.
Name:  photo3-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  98.7 KB

Here the spring is actually coming off of the seal.
Name:  photo4-1.jpg
Size:  105.7 KB

And here the spring is completley off and most likely right under the retainer.
Name:  photo2-1.jpg
Size:  72.3 KB

After getting a little better of a look at these it looks like they will just slide off the valve and i slide new ones on? I thought for some reason that they would be further down the valve?

Ethan