Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

EGR Solenoid - which is which?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Solenoid - which is which?

I'm going to be replacing my EGR Solenoid as I have the famous "cam idle", where it sounds like I have cams but I have stock cams. I found a picture of the EGR stuff and I am wondering which one is the EGR Solenoid I should be replacing, as it seems there are two of them. I got into the car and removed one, but I want to make sure it is the correct one!

Here is the picture:

So am I replacing number 1 or number 2...? Number 1 is the one I took off thinking that was it, but when I was about to order the part I noticed the one I was going to be buying looked slightly different and it looks like I almost ordered number 2.

Both say "EGR Solenoid" when I call the dealer, so am I replacing them both, or just one of them? I did some searching but couldn't get an exact answer, I did find one post saying they replace the EGR solenoid "all the time for customers cars and it's located on below the Intake Manifold" which leads me to believe I am supposed to replace number 2.

Also - is there a how-to on just the EGR Solenoid? I found the huge how-to on deleting the entire EGR system, but couldn't get a detailed removal of just the EGR solenoid and it looks like it's going to be really tough because of where it's located.

Thanks for reading my novel and thanks for the help in advance!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
egr is 2
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks!! @todd6027

Anyone have a how-to or know where I can find one? Or has anyone done this before? When I look at I am thinking I have to remove my intake manifold just to get at it and I do NOT want to do that - any help would be greatly appreciated! I've tried searching for days, can't seem to find what I'm looking for
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Since my EGR has been removed from my car I could sell it to you. It worked just fine when I had it installed. PM me if you want to go the used route instead of the dealership.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

I've got the soldenoid, I had removed number 1 thinking that was it but then I got the solenoid and it's different, and it ended up being number 2. Then I was upset cause I thought I ordered the wrong one but it turns out I ordered the right part but REMOVED the wrong part, lol.

Anyways - what I'm looking for right now is a how-to on how to remove/install the soldenoid. If I can't find one I'll just wait until I do the clutch in two weeks and do it then but I'd like to have it done beforehand.