Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Perrin Crank Pully Install help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perrin Crank Pully Install help

sup all i just got my pulley today....

i know theres nothing to installing this pulley, but i dont even know how to take off the stock ones..... so can anyone help me out?? thx

Last edited by han74j; Mar 12, 2004 at 03:48 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a replacement belt?

All you do is take out the right fender liner (inside the fender well) and unbolt the crank pulley and replace it with the new pulley. If the Perrin pulley is a smaller diameter than stock, you will need a shorter belt.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

no i dont have a replacement belt.

i called perrin and they told me that their crank pully is a direct fit to the stock one. so there is no need to replace teh blet, i asked the guy like 3 times and he told me no so =0)
Old Mar 14, 2004, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by han74j
i asked the guy like 3 times and he told me no so =0)
Then it must not be an underdrive pulley -- just lighter weight.

Even easier to install.

Remove right front fender liner, unbolt crank pulley, bolt on new pulley.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

yeah hahahahah i did it on sat night at 2 in the morning..... but took me like 1.5 hours.... eah ya i know pretty sad.... i thought the only way to losen the belt was to twist the pulley itself hahaha little did i know it was the thing to the left of it hahaha anyways. after installing it, my car pulls even harder now im very happy with the mod. perrin is a direct fit u dont need a new timing belt.

for all those that said pulleys r a piece of **** and dont get it... ill be back in a month and see if they r right about it.... but for now my car rocks, raped a G35, STI, M3 since i put on the pulley muahahhahahah
Old Apr 26, 2005, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Good for you!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

We should probably sticky this document.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:16 AM

Did you have any idling problems after you installed it? I just bought one and before I install it I wanna make sure I'm not screwing myself... haha
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_andy
Did you have any idling problems after you installed it? I just bought one and before I install it I wanna make sure I'm not screwing myself... haha

Previous owner of my car had it on. I replaced it back with the stock crank pulley. I would have sold this pulley hella cheap for you. IMO, just sell the perrin, and keep the stock one. People say it cant cause false knock reading from the ecu to pull timing..... but, I had an issue that I thought was a boost leak. I couldnt hold boost past 14 psi above 5500 rpm. I could touch 21 psi on my gauge but then tapered down to 14. and going above 5500 to redline was unusually slow and rough. I met a local evo owner whos on the boards here and recommened to swap in the stock one. He gave me a stock one and I swapped it in. It was worth a shot since its really easy to install.
Well I installed the stock unit. disconnected the battery and re connected it-- just to reset everything. Went for a test drive. It idles smoother, revs to redline smoother, and at cruising speeds I have more load on the engine so I am not running such a high vacuum reading than before--- quicker spool since its a greater load I guess. I can now hold 17-18 psi at 5500 rpm instead of 14 before. rev matching was stupid easy with the perrin pulley, and idle goes up higher easier with a/c on with the perrin. two only benefits I saw. With the Perrin, accelerating from 1st at like parking lots is more tricky-- sort of like driving with a really lightweight flywheel-have to rev it up a bit more to keep from bucking and stalling the car,hehe. At the next auto x event I went, my car was revving much smoother with the stock pulley so Im happier.
People on here might disagree and say its the Shizz, whatever... If they like it that much I will sell them mine. Still in good condition-- but I will be honest, its a p.o.s. I would rather save the money for maybe a Blox roll stopper or some shifter bushings.