Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

intake sucking to much air

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2004, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake sucking to much air

i put the k&n typhoon intake on my car and now when i take off and reach high boost it sounds like its sucking to much air and i hit fuel cut off but i still have factory boost sol still hook up i dont what to do i have tighten all the hoses and everthing up at least three times does anybody know whats going on? PLEASE HELP CAR VERY SLOW TOO
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
an open filter on these cars doesn't always help performance, HOWEVER, what your experiencing is pretty common, and the ECU will adjust slightly to the intake and it WILL get a little better in a day or two..

The bad news is if what your experiencing really is fuel cut, you may have to "Tune out" the filter using an aftermarket tool (an ECU reflash or Piggyback addon)

Give it a few days, fuel cut happens on really cold days with these filters but it may be leaking a bit of air, so verify there's no air leaking from between the MAF sensor and the filter's mounting flange.

The sucking sound is NORMAL, any open filter is LOUD, you can hear it sucking the air, turbo whining, and the blowoff valve whooshing.

I can only suggest that if you don't plan on doing any major modifications, and you don't care about the sound it makes, to put the stock airbox back on. Your not going to gain much with an aftermarket filter otherwise. Get a good quality panel filter replacement for the stock airbox.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Stick with stock,its already cold air intake just buy a K&N panel filter .........Or spend alnother 200 and get dynoflashed for you intake,it will make the car run better,youll gain 20-30 hp....and get rid of your fuel cut....

Unless your making over 450-500 hp at the wheels Intake wont improve performance.

Last edited by DocMortal; Apr 17, 2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:24 PM
choad

The verdict is in on the air intake enhancments..

A K and N drop in or basic free-er breathing panel is PLENTY good unless your car is a beast..nuff said.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:40 PM
EvoM Guru

I'll have to agree with Doc and M3, unless you have a need for the aftermarket filter, its not a worthwhile and troublefree mod.. If you have upgraded intercooler pipes and the ability to tune the car in some way, then the filter can help a little. But until you hit over 300WHP, it appears the stock box with good panel filter will do just fine. I do have an aftermarket filter, and I experienced a little of what your describing, but my intake pipes and intercooler pipes necessitated it since it relocated the intake tract a little.

I am in the process of sectioning and reassembling the stock air-box for my setup.. since I already cut up my airbox to do a stealth mod.. if my experiment works, I'll post info on how to modify the stock box to work with the buschur intake pipe.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Apr 17, 2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:48 PM
choad

I am in the process of sectioning and reassembling the stock air-box for my setup.. since I already cut up my airbox to do a stealth mod.. if my experiment works, I'll post info on how to modify the stock box to work with the buschur intake pipe.
Won't be a "stealth mod" when you post it..

It will be out in there in the open for ALL to see..

Thanks Malibu!! We await...
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:55 PM
EvoM Guru

LOL yeah good point.. My car isn't exactly stealthy anymore though..
Old Apr 17, 2004, 11:00 PM
choad

Uh..
Yeah, yer right..

Attached Thumbnails intake sucking to much air-malibu_nov.jpg  
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:35 AM

Try this on for size. I got the K&N Typhoon intake and the instructions had the BOV pictured wrong. So when I installed the kit, it made a funny squeaking noise and it ran like dirt. After taking it off and I put my stock intake box back it still ran funny.

I read that some of the instructions had incorrect information. So I found a picture of the BOV under the hood and put it back the way it needed to be. Runs great.

Now I have put the K&N kit back on and it runs properly now. Thanks K&N!

It might have been better to just put the K&N panel filter on and have it DynoFlashed.

Does nayone know if the HKS kit is better than the K&N?

-E
Old Jul 30, 2004, 09:00 AM
choad

Does nayone know if the HKS kit is better than the K&N?
Didn't you kinda answer this question yourself??

Performance gains are great and all (in the event the K and N is in fact better) but what about ease of install and reliabilty?

Gotta grade on all the above IMO.

All the posts I have seen on intakes have said the K and N standard intake/filter is MORE than enought to free up good HP.

Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:01 PM
Former Sponsor

im curious how an air filter would really affect reliability? hell the K& N filter is meant to last a million miles...isn't that enough by itself?