Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

O2 Simulator Install

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2004, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post O2 Simulator Install

Ok I have had a few requests to write down some instructions on how I installed my o2 simulator. First of all I recieved mine from the Bushcur Racing to be used with my off road test pipe for off road use only . Some other sims might be different but it does look the same as the one that the lancer shop sells so just everyone knows. Please let me know of any feedback and I will add it in to help everyone out.

STEP ONE
Locate the cars o2 sensor plug for the rear o2 sensor. This is under the passangers seat on the upper left hand side of the floor. You will notce a box type slit in the carpet so you can pull it back and reach down in and get ahold of the plugs to pull them out for access. I took my seat out for easier access, to do this you remove the rear piece of the armrest console by taking out the two screws under the armrest in the storage compartment then pulling up on the assembly. The rest of it is only snapped in, when trying to remove it will only remove from the armrest up to the end of the cup holders taking the intercooler switch, the shift column and console will not be affected or moved. Once you have the armrest console out you can see all 4 bolts for the seat. Slide the seat back then take out the bolt and then remove from the car carefully not to bump or scratch anything.

STEP TWO
Once you have easy access to the cars o2 sensor wires on the o2 sensor plug (Black) side you will want to trim the shielding then you will be able to see all the wires (List out below in order), next you will be cutting the blue wire becuase it contains the voltage that is going to be altered by connecting it to a input and output wire from the o2 simulator. When cutting this wire you want to cut far enough back to give yourself room to strip both ends and still have a inch or two left to access so try to cut the middle of what you can see from the floor.

STEP THREE
List of wires from the o2 Sim
---------------------------------------
1.Solid Black
2.Solid White
3.White with a black line
4.Solid Red

List of wires from the o2 Plug from the car on the o2 sensor side. Do not cut the wires on the car wiring harness side only on the 02 sensor side becuase it can be replaced very easily. The correct plug is BLACK.
-----------------------------
1.Solid Black
2.Solid Black
3.Solid White
4.Solid Blue

Connection order from the o2 Simulator to the o2 Sensor Car Plug (Matching numbers)

1.Solid Black = Car ground (I grounding on the seat bolt on the upper left and ran wire under the carpet)

2.Solid White = #4 Solid Blue going "IN" from the cars o2 Sensor. This connection is a "SOLID" connection.

3.White with a black line = #4 Solid Blue going "OUT" to the cars o2 Sensors Plug (BLACK). This connection is a "SOLID" connection.

4.Solid Red = #2 Solid Black on the cars 02 Sensor. This connection is a "SPLICE" connection.

NOTE: Wires #1 (BLACK) , #3 (WHITE) don't have any connections.

STEP FOUR
Once all your connections are made you should tape everything off reconnect your plug and then tuck everything up under the floor that you can, I left the o2 Sim hanging out becuase when your key to the ACC position you should see the red light flashing. This will indicate that the o2 sim is working so you can check it when needed incase of problems later on.

STEP FIVE
If you have identifyed everything is work you will need to reinstall your seat then your armrest console.

STEP SIX
Preform an ECU Reset to get rid of the light in most cases. Not all people have had to do this so this is your call, I did the rest.

I hope this helps, my light has been out for quite some time but it did come back when I was running very rich after I installed my walbro fuel pump. So a correct fuel trim could be a factor in this as well. Also there has been methods of drilling out the bung on the cat back pipe, mine has been drilled out a little so that can play a factor as well. These are just factors and tips that I wanted to share but I hope this helps everyone.

GTVEVO
Old May 26, 2004, 09:51 AM

I love this guy...You are the man. Saved me more time. Thanks
Wait...when doing this, should you disconnect teh negative cable on the car battery!
Old May 26, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOag
I love this guy...You are the man. Saved me more time. Thanks
Wait...when doing this, should you disconnect teh negative cable on the car battery!
Yes I am sure that would be good practice but I don't think it is a must becuase no power is supplyed to that sensor until the ECU is powered up. Thanks for the props!

GTVEVO
Old May 26, 2004, 10:39 AM

With your approval is this correct!
Hey man! I did it....don't mock MSPaint. Its uber ownz you
Old May 26, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
how much was for the o2 sims? and thanks for spending time to write some explanation(good job)!!!
Old May 26, 2004, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOag
With your approval is this correct!
Hey man! I did it....don't mock MSPaint. Its uber ownz you
[/IMG]
Looks like you are dead on! That is right.
Old May 26, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tweakdsm
how much was for the o2 sims? and thanks for spending time to write some explanation(good job)!!!
The o2 Sim was part of the Buschur Turbo Back purchase for 850.00. I don't know if they sell them seperate or if they are callibrated for only their exhaust but I do know that the lancer shop sells them seperatly for around 68.95 or so.

http://www.lancershop.com/exhaust.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

GTVEVO
Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the great write up !! Works perfect,bought the O2 simulator from Buschur Racing and you can buy it by itself and I believe it was about $45... I installed it last week and havent got a cell driving about 500 miles on it....WORKS GREAT...

The only thing I recommend is find a good grounding point,the studs for the passenger seat didnt work for the simulator,untill I found a spot on one of the E-Brake main bolts..The way I found a good grounding point is I had the ignition on and just kept touching the ground wire on certain bolts untill I got a good ground...Blinks on and off pretty quickly

Thats just the way I did it,no idea if its safe or not...

thanks again guys
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Works for me Thanks for the writeup.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:09 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad i found this thread, just got my Buschur exhaust on last week and I need to install my sim. now. thanx for the writeup.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 07:41 PM

Can anyone tell me how to install an Autometer Air/Fuel Guage?
Thanx? What is the pinout on the ecu for the O2 sensor? Do I even need this?
Old Jul 20, 2004, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bsd2k2
Can anyone tell me how to install an Autometer Air/Fuel Guage?
Thanx? What is the pinout on the ecu for the O2 sensor? Do I even need this?
For a narrow band AirFuel gauge you want to tap number 76, hope this helps.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...-ecuwiring.htm
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:39 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got the simulator all hooked up and working in under an hour...thanx again. No ce lights
Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

has anyone tried the plug and play version of the o2 sim from lancershop? I was just wondering if it required no splicing whatsoever?
Old Aug 14, 2004, 07:46 AM
Former Sponsor

I have a different O2 bypass, does anyone know what wire goes to what?

Harness +
Harness -
Heater Wire
Heater Wire

Quick Reply: O2 Simulator Install