Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To Request: Roll your fenders

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How To Request: Roll your fenders

I hear talk about rolling fenders, with methods ranging from a baseball bat to some fender rolling machine. I want to run 265/35/18 tires on 18x9 +35 to +40 rims, and I don't want to figure out how to roll my fenders AFTER I find out I need to. 265/35/18 tires are probably at or over the limit of the stock fenders, so it's hit or miss whether I will need to roll them.

If someone would be so kind as to take pictures the next time they are doing a DIY job, or give advice on rolling our fenders (does it need special consideration because it's aluminum?) It would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look here.

http://www.eurotuner.com/howto/99762/index1.html

and here.

http://www.bmwdiy.info/fender-rolling/

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, quite. I would still like to see a writeup on an EVO since every car probably has its own particular trouble spots, which I don't want to discover mysef
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:22 AM

i would like to see one too......i dont want to mess up my fenders
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:24 AM

That BMW DIY is pretty cool. Im not too sure how particular you are with your vehicle, but if you want a quality job, seek professional work. Many paint and body shops offer this service. I know im not too body work saavy.

I had an Audi S4 with 18x9.5 wheels and found out AFTER I installed the wheels that I needed my front fenders rolled when they started to rub the fenders and screw up the paint. I took it to a Maaco and they did an awesome job. It only cost me a $150 (which included paint touch up and blending) and it was worth it. Call around and see what you find...
Old May 3, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just to add some info to this thread: beware of a potential issue while using the fender roller tools such as the one from Tire Rack and RollYourFender.com. On my Evo, with coil-overs, there wasn't enough suspension travel to position the roller tool low enough to get the roller below the rear lip at a nice, gentle angle to push up. Instead, at it's lowest position, the roller was nearly at a 90 degree angle to the rear lip, so you're pushing "out" more so than "up", which doesn't work.

This may not be an issue with stock-suspensioned Evos, aftermarket coil-overs set w/ reasonably high ride height, etc., but it was an issue for me.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EJEvo, did you try jacking up the car?
Old May 15, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
great
Old May 15, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
crazybaldhead - yep, the car was jacked up and the wheel was off for this. Had to be in order to use this tool correctly. I could have tried playing with the adjustable suspension, but didn't want the hassle. I ended up taking it to a body shop who had similar issues, and had to soft hammer the lip to get it started before they could get their tool into the job, and at that they used 18mm of spacers to bring the tool into contact with the lip without raising the roller - that was clever of them. They said the paint was near-impossible to save with the age of the car and the severity of the roll I needed. They used a pinstrip brush and repainted the the lip - looks great.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

one thing your going to want to do which isnt put out by others is drop down the rear calipers. Just the top bolt and let it hang off the bottom bolt so that you can get a clean sweep pass with the fender roller.

As well make sure the whole rear end is lifted up off the ground.