Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Perrin Oil Catch can Installation w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2004, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Perrin as well .
Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

What would I do since I have an aftermarket intake hose between the maf and the turbo and it dosn't have the breather nipple on it. right now i have a breather filter coming off of the side of the valve cover. Its currently black from the oil so i am seriously looking at getting a oil catcch can for my system.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redlimit835
What would I do since I have an aftermarket intake hose between the maf and the turbo and it dosn't have the breather nipple on it. right now i have a breather filter coming off of the side of the valve cover. Its currently black from the oil so i am seriously looking at getting a oil catcch can for my system.
I'm pretty sure that you have no need for an oil catch can then. The oil catch can is meant to capture oil suspended in the air before it ends up coating the innards of the intercooler, and thus insulating it and causing it to be less thermally efficient. If that connection has been severed due to your aftermarket intake, then the problem that the catch can is designed for doesn't exist. Right?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

I also bought the Perrin can. One other thing I'd add is that some of the kits now come with plastic nipples to screw into the top instead of brass. DON"T USE THEM. They have a nasty tendency of breaking if you overtighten or put any stress on them. I bought two new brass nipples at my local auto parts store for a few bucks.

A note on draining it -- I think you won't have to remove it to do a drain. An old water bottle held underneath the can should be sufficient to catch any oil, and you can use the clear level hose as a drain.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

you dont have to remove the can to drain it. im positive about that
Old Feb 9, 2011, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes im bringing this topic back because i was thinking about getting the sam can... Does anyone have this can installed right now? Im curious about having too drain it... do you remove the can? or use a bottle? I was thinking the Greddy or Perrin can...any advise?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Learn from my mistake. Avoid this Perrin can - it does nothing. If you're really interested in getting a can that actually traps oil vapor, purchase one of these: http://www.saikoumichi.com/

I run the DC3 dual on my Evo and it works - amazing the crap that comes out of it. When I had my Perrin on - literally nothing would collect in it. I finally decided to take it off when it failed (the plastic sight hose would come loose from its fittings, and one of the nozzles fused to the metal top (don't know much about metallurgy, but someone pointed out that the two different metals used have a habit of seizing together when threaded together).
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by EJEvo
Learn from my mistake. Avoid this Perrin can - it does nothing. If you're really interested in getting a can that actually traps oil vapor, purchase one of these: http://www.saikoumichi.com/

I run the DC3 dual on my Evo and it works - amazing the crap that comes out of it. When I had my Perrin on - literally nothing would collect in it. I finally decided to take it off when it failed (the plastic sight hose would come loose from its fittings, and one of the nozzles fused to the metal top (don't know much about metallurgy, but someone pointed out that the two different metals used have a habit of seizing together when threaded together).
You got a write-up of the install? I like the look of this can and the fact that it's Domestic-sourced.

Edit:

To be more specific, what vent line did you tap into for the second tank on your Dual DC3? I imagine the first tank is fed just like your previous Perrin setup, as posted on your own site.

Last edited by dck47; Feb 10, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

No write-up, and the car isn't here for me to snag photos of currently (it's getting a cage installed). One tank has the line from the valve cover going into the top, and the line out the side goes to the breather on the intake. On the 2nd tank, the line out of the PCV valve goes into the top of the 2nd tank, and the line out of the side goes into the intake manifold.

I have the dual unit mounted on the driver's side fender rail, and I reused a bolt that held something on (boost solenoid? hard to recall) in that location. It basically ends up under the intake's filter on my car. When I purchased they offered an install kit that included hose and clamps to make it all inclusive for the task.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:39 PM

Thanks man, that's perfect and exactly what I wanted to know.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by txfakuma
yes im bringing this topic back because i was thinking about getting the sam can... Does anyone have this can installed right now? Im curious about having too drain it... Do you remove the can? Or use a bottle? I was thinking the greddy or perrin can...any advise?
^^ ?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
^^ ?
Originally Posted by EJEvo

Any other questions?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
any installed photos of this Saikou Michi Catch Can?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Mucho busy this week, but I do need to empty it before an event this weekend. When I do it (probably Wed. or Thurs.), I'll take pics.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejevo8/...7627352263608/

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Perrin Oil Catch can Installation w/ pics