Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Perrin Oil Catch can Installation w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Perrin Oil Catch can Installation w/ pics

I took some notes and pics of my Perrin Oil Catch can installation....

EJ Evo's Perrin Oil Catch Can install
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the purpos of the catch can? Is it really necessary? If it is I would like to get one. Anything to keep my car healthy.;.......
Old Sep 18, 2004, 06:27 AM

Yes it keeps oil out of the intake track ( fmic, throttle body, ic piping).
Old Sep 18, 2004, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

What would be a good one to get......?
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any is good, perrin, helix, greddy, obx. Just make sure you install it right. It supposed to drain the moisture in the oil so it does not "gunk" up the FMIC,intake...
Old Sep 19, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have this installed and if so what are your toughts....? The reason I ask is because it seems like a healthy thing to do for the car, but with every action there is a reaction and I just want to make sure what can go worng before I do somthing I know nothing about..
Old Oct 20, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Question on EJ's install. If you have to empty the oil catch once and awhile do you have to take off the strut bar every single time to empty it. I'm supposing so since you have to take it off to install it. If that is the case anyone else with the perrion oil catch can that installed it somewhere else in the engine bay with the stock setup? I don't want to have to take off the strut bar every time I need to empty the catch can. How often do most of you empty it anyways? Just curious because mine should be here any day.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Bump! so someone will answer my question.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr0072003
Does anyone have this installed and if so what are your toughts....? The reason I ask is because it seems like a healthy thing to do for the car, but with every action there is a reaction and I just want to make sure what can go worng before I do somthing I know nothing about..
The bad part is that it is not smog legal. The good is what everybody say about not getting the intake system all gunked with oil vapors(that is, if you boost alot). Also, in my opinion, it lowers that chances of intake hoses popping off like some members are having.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

can someone answer my question please about the catch can?
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 2 cents

Sorry cruisin_lancer for the delay in answering - for some reason I'm not getting notices of postings in here.

Strut tower brace removal for maintenance? Yes, you need to take off the tower brace. The catch can sits pretty much right under the stock tower brace, and the ABS lines are directly behind it. No room to pull it out in front of the tower brace, so it has to come out straight up.

I haven't had to pull mine out yet - the sight glass (actually a clear plastic tube) shows there's oil in it, but it hasn't accumulated yet to the point where it is solidly filling the can. I'll probably do this in the spring.

As far as this item affecting emissions, I don't see how it could. In essence, the can is simply being spliced into the existing hose connection between the crankcase and the intake. It's still air-tight, and isn't changing the routing of air between parts. I can't see it being a factor in emissions, except that you should be burning a little cleaner by removing some oil from the intake air stream....

Concerning the brand recommendation - I can't recommend the Perrin, but I can't say avoid it, either. It's working fine, but the nipples' threads pretty much welded themselves to the metal top of the "can" (actually a silicone hose body with metal end plates top & bottom) when I was assembling it, so that limits my maintenance options since I can't take it fully apart if I wanted to. The main problem I experienced was attempting to get the nipples on the top to hold the mounting bracket tightly so it wouldn't rattle. I ended up putting a bend in the mounting bracket to help take up the slack that the nipples couldn't. Cusco seems to be a pretty good name - if I had it to do again I'd go with them. Perrin caught my eye because they had good photos and documentation on the installation.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for answering that for me EJ. I did have better luck with tightening down my nipples on the top. On the nipples I used teflon tape on the threads. Made threading in the nipples A LOT easier. It did take a couple times of tightening to get them to tighten down the braket all the way. It looks nice with no bent brackets.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

So which one did you end up getting then?? The Perin or the Cusco?
Old Oct 28, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

I have Perrin and I like it.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Perrin too. Very nice.

Quick Reply: Perrin Oil Catch can Installation w/ pics