Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

how to make a dual brake bleeding catch can

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
how to make a dual brake bleeding catch can

there are many ways to cut this pie, but i'm just puttin' the idea out there cuz it's useful.

this type of catch can allows you to bleed both sides of the calipers at once. what you want to do is use two box end wrenches, one on each side of hte caliper, then slip the hose on, loosen, pump and then tighten. you can prefill the catch bottle a little bit so you don't resuck up air if you don't have speed bleeding screws. if you have speed bleeding screws, there's just that much more security. this should theoretically cut yer bleeding time in half, which means you can do it more often!

things you'll need:

big gatorade type bottle, i used vitamin water bottle. you need that neck so you can make a hanger.

lots of zip ties or a metal clothes hanger

some vac hose, i used 5/32" internal diameter (this fits snug over the bleed screws). the drill bit i had to use was 11/32"

a t fitting, altho i wouldn't use a T fitting, i'd use either a Y fitting or a y fitting. i used 1/8" id. outter diameter was 3/16" and as you can see it's a tight fit for 5/32" id hose.

more smaller sized zip ties.

here's the pics.

hopefully all the closeups show you how to make the hanger. the hanger is used so you can hang the bottle from one of the lug studs, this keeps the bottle from toppling (especially if you hold it on there with a lug nut) and spilling fluid all over.

couple notes, if you use zip ties to make the hanger, you'll need to "lock" of the ties at the end, i used elmers glue, dries hard and wedges up the zip tie so it won't tighten and shorten your hanger.

also depending on whta size vac line you get you'll need the appropriate sized drill bit. use the exact size, the hose is a tight fit even with a lil extra boring! don't forget the breather hole!!! i drilled mine tiny in case it does topple... won't leak very much, but will let excess pressure out and in.

also make sure you make the joining tube more than long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle and depending on wehre you like to hang the bottle, long enough to reach the bleed screws.

if you are struggling with the t fitting and the vac hose, use water as lube, if that fails bad... use brake fluid. i swear i almost ripped a finger nail off.

Last edited by trinydex; Mar 16, 2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 05:48 AM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread HERE