Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

No need to splice stock h11 harness to install MR headlights with 9006 foglight bulb

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need to splice stock h11 harness to install MR headlights with 9006 foglight bulb

after searching high and low, I finally found the solution...now there is no reason to splice into your stock harness with the 9006 female connector that usually comes with MR headlights nor is it necessary to do any kind of "creative" wiring to avoid splicing into your stock harness.....

it comes from xenondepot.com > products > xenon/HID components > OEM HID Components > Headlight Wiring Harness Fitments: H1 H3 H4 H7 H11 9004 9005 9006 9007 (http://xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=50)

For 40 dollars + shipping, choose the H11 option and you will get a wiring harness that connects your H11 stock harness (H11 female) to your new MR 9006 foglights (9006 male).

I found this solution by chance from a similar type of situation that someone was trying to remedy on an Acura MDX forum.

The reason this works is because the HID kits that xenondepot sells has a 9006 connector on their ballast. So if you buy their HID kit like I did, you simply connect the harness to the HID ballast and from the ballast to the 9006 HID bulb you get with their kit and you have double the HID! If you don't have the extra HID, its a simple plug and play operation to bridge your stock harness to the 9006s once you've connected the power and ground.

If you don't want the added protection of a fuse + relay and you don't want to deal with the power and ground, you can just use the H11 male connector and 9006 female connector to make your own custom headlight harness by cutting them out and soldering their wires together (make sure to have the correct polarity, but i'm not sure it matters).....

Now, you're thinking to yourself, why go through all that trouble of making a custom harness from parts of one that you already bought? Can't I just buy the parts to make my own?

WELL...apparently the H11 male connector does not exist in north america (Except in this harness from xenondepot..and no they don't sell the connectors on their own because they buy the harnesses already built)

Suvlights.com (where I got components to build my last harness) only has the H11 female and says they have never and will never be able to get the H11 male (which simulates the bulb end connector). Same goes for sasquehenna motorsports (rally lighting site). I actually bought another headlight harness that was cheaper than the xenondepot (like 16.99) from yada international because they said they had an h11 male connector but it came to my door with 2 spades that you push into the stock harness and cover it with electrical tape...sure it could work, but dangerous as hell when you think about water and crap getting in there. Got screwed on that one...

The xenondepot harness isn't perfect as you will see in my "instructions" below, but as long as you pinch the pins together a bit so they fit good into the slots of the stock harness connector, you will get a good connection when you push them together and can secure the connection with a zip tie. The key is to make sure you don't have any of the orange seal showing and that will mean you have a good connection. This is the only connection that I had trouble with when installing my MR headlights + HIDs but would have been very easy to narrow down if I had a multimeter...stupid me.

Old Sep 14, 2007, 05:17 AM

Great pics and write up, so if you order a qty of one you will be able to swap both foglights to the 9006?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:01 AM
msp

great write up

I have an 04 evo 8 and it still has the intercooler sprayer reservoir. The ground on the drivers side that was pictured I couldn't use, but it wasn't a problem. The main concern was the connection to the stock H11 plugs. Everything worked out as was stated in the write-up. Thx for the help.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:59 AM
Elu
Evolving Member

can anyone repost the instructions? the pic is a dead link. thanks!
Old May 9, 2009, 12:04 AM
Elu
Evolving Member

anyone? bump!
Old May 9, 2009, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

I just spliced into the old wiring harness and soldered. It was free and only took me 5 minutes. I guess if you don't know how to wire/solder this would be a good option.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 05:43 PM

Sorry to bring up this old thread but this is for whoang40,
Which wires did u have to splice? That is what I don't understand
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there any pics btw?