Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

air filter heat shield.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
Wow rollo, that's awesome! If I had my snorkel I'd have to copy your design. Since I bought my EVO used, I don't have the snorkel. Whom ever owned it before me removed it for whatever reason :-/
Thanks! I modelled it on the EuroSport one I used to run on my Corrado (went back to the stock box on that).

btw, looks like you can get a new snorkel/duct thing pretty reasonably.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...13&catalogid=2
I dunno anything about those guys but if the MSRP is 35 bucks, you could go to your local parts counter, save yourself the shipping cost and come out about even.

My metalwork talents ran out when it came to the fiddly stuff around the duct exit, so I ended up using little bolts as you can see.

The thing that bugs me to this day about my shield is that there's a bit of a gap underneath. I tried to bend the metal under but it's not really enough. I have it all out at the moment for a clutch line install, so I might try and add more coverage underneath.. or possibly a second duct.

Evo_Kid: it's not a competition Just cool (ha) to see what solutions people came up with independently.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:44 PM
Pro

not trying to put u down or anythin cause that heat shield is awesome, but wouldnt it be better to use a material that doesn't soak up heat as fast?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 02:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rollo
I had the same idea a few years back (wow.. actually 4 1/2 years now, time flies when you have an Evo )

https://www.evolutionm.net/registry/...d.php?mid=6747

It doesn't look that shiny any more, but it still works like a charm. If I remember right, at the time there was some concern that hotter intake temps might cause the ECU to pull timing, significantly offsetting any gains that an open filter might feasibly bring. Dunno if this was ever proved true or false but it's definitely true that colder air = denser air, so an intake shield can't hurt. Also it seemed like a shame to chuck out the OEM air duct.

I've meant for ages for redo it with carbon fibre sheeting (like they use for battle robots) but never got round to it yet. If I do that now I'll probably enclose the whole thing. BTW the rubber seal thing can be bought at PepBoys or wherever, it's door seal and comes in a roll. It'll take a few tries to make sure you're making a decent fit with the underside of the hood - you can look through the vent to see how you're doing I made a cardboard template also, and used the bracket on the IC tube to secure the shield with a bolt.

This is way cool, I would like to do something like this for mine. Very clean.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pro
not trying to put u down or anythin cause that heat shield is awesome, but wouldnt it be better to use a material that doesn't soak up heat as fast?
Yeah, definitely, hence my idea of using carbon fibre sheets instead. Thing is, aluminium is especially easy to work with, easy to get and cheap, especially if you have an industrial metal supplier nearby. CF is none of those things, and there aren't many other choices for a shield. There are some guys (MalibuJack I think was the first?) who have chopped up the stock airbox to fit an open filter.. pretty damn clever idea actually, and has the advantage of passing visual smog inspection.

It does stand to reason that once the shield has soaked up the heat from the engine, it'd radiate more of it back into your 'sealed off' area. On the other hand, there is constant airflow through the engine bay (when you're moving) and especially with the duct/snorkel directing ambient temp air to your sealed area it does make a difference.

I logged the intake temperature at the time with the shield on, and when the car was moving, it was consistently close to the ambient temp that day (80ish if i remember right), which of course is the minimum you're ever going to get anyway. Since I have it out, I'll do some back to back comparisons, shield on and off.

I guess the easiest thing would just be to put the stock box back on really. But where's the challenge in that
Old Sep 21, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

rollo, lmk if you want to get rid of that one. I will for sure take it off your hands, if you decide to do a cf one. I can wait for it too, or make an exact one like that for me and I will buy it. I just like the overall design of yours.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by loofee
thanks, I'm going to buy more materials this week and design an actual box with detail of how-to. stay tune. C
loofee, is there going to be an update soon, you have a talent that you can share with the rest of the Evo world and that is creativity, all you have to do is write it down and draw it up for us not so creative ones. We appeciate creativity that not only is effective but also looks good to.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

any one of you diy heat shielders have a template for the rest of us?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
Here are some pics of the one I made. Not trying to "steal your thunder" , loofee. I just wanted to share mine. Mine isn't near as pretty or as well made, but I like it. I wrote down the dimensions if anybody may be interested in trying it out themselves Let me know
Please post or PM dimensions!

I wonder if some sanding and spray paint would be good against heat
Old Dec 19, 2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wiznaz
Please post or PM dimensions!

I wonder if some sanding and spray paint would be good against heat
PM me also the Dims if you are not going to post them
Old Dec 24, 2007, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry guys. I threw the sheet out I had the dimensions written down on. I'll have the pull the shield out and make all the measurments again.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

dang you! its all good.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thats it, my car is down and out for a little bit, so this will be my weekend project... Thanks for the inspiration.