Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

air filter heat shield.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DIY: air filter heat shield.

Well, I was bored today....and also broke. as I was looking around in my garage. I noticed that I had a1/3 sheet of aluminum left over from my previous DIY for my turbo 240sx. So I was thinking to self. " Self! what can I do with this??" it says...ur Evo open airfilter can use a heat shield!!. so i went to work, and the result???

it was very simple to make. only a few hand tools are needed. ie: sheet metal of some sort ( aluminum is prefered), sheet metal cutter, flat head screwdriver., and card board for template.
and u should have it done in under a hour.
* before u do most of anywork under the hood please disconect the ground wire, u don't want to accidentally pop the air bags.
** do it at your own risk, as I'm not responsible for any damage/s caused to u or ur vehecle.

ok here is how.
1. remove the airfilter from the adapter using the flat head screwdriver.
2. start with the card board and make a template.
3. trace the template on to the sheetmetal.
4. cut it away ( please wear heavy duty glove to protect ur fingers from getting cut from the rough edges of the sheet meatal).
5. prefit and trim until it fits perfectly.

I did not feel any gain in hp, but the air filter used to get hot after a drive, and after I install the heat shield, the filter temp is almost the same as the room temp.
So that have to be good.
I'm making another one soon ( either another heat shield or an entire box) and will do a detail procedure with pics, SOON. C

Last edited by loofee; Aug 26, 2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn thats nice man , Wanna make me one
Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks, I'm going to buy more materials this week and design an actual box with detail of how-to. stay tune. C
Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Nice.
I am in the process of making one too. My last logs showed my mass air temps reading 110F when OAT was maybe 85F. I'm sure a heat shield would help. I made a template out of posterboard, and found a scrap metal yard near here with insanely low prices. My friend just picked up a 3' x 7' sheet of 20 gauge sheet metal for a whopping $6. Screw places like Home Depot and Lowes - their prices are outrageous (something on the order of $20 for a 1'x2' piece of 20 gauge.

Oh, and your next one, I would recommend placing the whole mass air sensor behind the shield - which will still pick up radiant heat from the engine.

My template has a cutout for the snorkle to go through and the mass air and filter behind the shield.

Last edited by 56Hotrod; Aug 26, 2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by loofee
Well, I was bored today....and also broke. as I was looking around in my garage. I noticed that I had a1/3 sheet of aluminum left over from my previous DIY for my turbo 240sx. So I was thinking to self. " Self! what can I do with this??" it says...ur Evo open airfilter can use a heat shield!!. so i went to work, and the result???

it was very simple to make. only a few hand tools are needed. ie: sheet metal of some sort ( aluminum is prefered), sheet metal cutter, flat head screwdriver., and card board for template.
and u should have it done in under a hour.
* before u do most of anywork under the hood please disconect the ground wire, u don't want to accidentally pop the air bags.
** do it at your own risk, as I'm not responsible for any damage/s caused to u or ur vehecle.

ok here is how.
1. remove the airfilter from the adapter using the flat head screwdriver.
2. start with the card board and make a template.
3. trace the template on to the sheetmetal.
4. cut it away ( please wear heavy duty glove to protect ur fingers from getting cut from the rough edges of the sheet meatal).
5. prefit and trim until it fits perfectly.

I did not feel any gain in hp, but the air filter used to get hot after a drive, and after I install the heat shield, the filter temp is almost the same as the room temp.
So that have to be good.
I'm making another one soon ( either another heat shield or an entire box) and will do a detail procedure with pics, SOON. C
Looks great, you did that by hand in an hour? Is there an update on the how to w/pics. Is that an Injen intercooler pipe and intake in there?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

looking forward to see how the box is gonna look. Nice craftsmanship, I need to get on this.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

I have made one too. I don't have any pictures and it's not the prettiest thing in the world but it works. I plan on putting some gold foil on the hot side once I get around to it.

This one looks good, the bends and cuts look very nice
Old Sep 17, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Here are some pics of the one I made. Not trying to "steal your thunder" , loofee. I just wanted to share mine. Mine isn't near as pretty or as well made, but I like it. I wrote down the dimensions if anybody may be interested in trying it out themselves Let me know

Old Sep 17, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

/\ Very nice bro
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:11 PM

they're both look nice guy's....i'll give myself a try. thanks for sharing it.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

template please!!!
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

I had the same idea a few years back (wow.. actually 4 1/2 years now, time flies when you have an Evo )

https://www.evolutionm.net/registry/...d.php?mid=6747

It doesn't look that shiny any more, but it still works like a charm. If I remember right, at the time there was some concern that hotter intake temps might cause the ECU to pull timing, significantly offsetting any gains that an open filter might feasibly bring. Dunno if this was ever proved true or false but it's definitely true that colder air = denser air, so an intake shield can't hurt. Also it seemed like a shame to chuck out the OEM air duct.

I've meant for ages for redo it with carbon fibre sheeting (like they use for battle robots) but never got round to it yet. If I do that now I'll probably enclose the whole thing. BTW the rubber seal thing can be bought at PepBoys or wherever, it's door seal and comes in a roll. It'll take a few tries to make sure you're making a decent fit with the underside of the hood - you can look through the vent to see how you're doing I made a cardboard template also, and used the bracket on the IC tube to secure the shield with a bolt.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Wow rollo, that's awesome! If I had my snorkel I'd have to copy your design. Since I bought my EVO used, I don't have the snorkel. Whom ever owned it before me removed it for whatever reason :-/
Old Sep 20, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ok there all very nice. Last one looks the best, with the fist on coming in second and the second one coming in third. I think having the snokle is very important.

Quick Reply: air filter heat shield.