Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Fuel Gauge not working after fuel pump swap...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Gauge not working after fuel pump swap...

Hello everyone, this is my first post, sorry to come in with bad news, but i need some help. I own a 06 Evo MR with 6k miles, and I just recently upgraded to the Walbro 255 fuel pump. I followed the directions step by step as told on lancershop.com's how-to section, or at least I thought I did. After the install I noticed my Service Engine light (not check engine light) was on and my fuel gauge is not working, it stayed at empty. So I'm guessing I messed up the fuel sensor float. Do you guys know if I can fix this? or do what I need to do to fix it? and any ideas on why my service engine light is on right after the install?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Did you lay it on the float side when you were putting in the new pump. I just did mine yesterday and you have to be very careful when you pull the hole thing out of the hole. It might be bent or the conection might be bad
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:42 PM

I don't remember, do you know if it is fixable? or how much this would cost if i were to get a new one? and where would I get a new one? after the install, I drove it around, and it seemed to drive fine. I'm worried
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

u either left something unplugged... or bent the sending unit on the assembly... that rod with the floater on it. if it is bent and cant float upwards the gauge wont read right.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Take it apart again and look at it and see if there is anything you missed or anything bent.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:52 PM

any idea why my service engine light came on after the install?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:53 PM

thanks for the advice, i plan on doing that tomorrow, and double check everything
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:02 PM

ok sorry i just read the evo owners manual and i got the "Serivce engine soon" light which is mitsubishi's check engine light. Sorry I am not used to a check engine light looking like that, i'm used to the default check engine symbol, and this is the first time i have seen this in my car.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 01:09 PM

I thought the floater device/ sender unit was on the passenger side. There is one on the fuel pump as well?
Old Sep 28, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Floater is part of the entire assembly that is pulled out of the tank, which is on the driver side.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 01:42 PM

So these cars have 2 floaters? I have been trying to solve my guage problem as well. Maybe the one on the drivers side has the issue with my car.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:26 PM

ok i took everything apart and put it all back together...everything looked fine but the gauge still doesnt work and check engine light is still one. So i'm guessing it's the float sensor. Anyone know how much one of these floaters cost?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:06 PM

Any new info? Bring it back hopefully
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:09 PM

i had the same issue when i put in the new pump the service light is on because the gauge isnt working if i remember right the floater was $80 something from the dealer
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a flat, rounded shape piece of metal that makes contact with the floater as it moves up/down near its base. Make sure that metal is contacting the floater as it can pop the opposite direction and not send a signal causing the fuel gauge to show empty.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge not working after fuel pump swap...