Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Make Timing Belt Tensioner Tool

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make Timing Belt Tensioner Tool

This is how to make a timing belt tool in order to make installs that involve taking off or loosening your timing belt. This will colst you at the most $15! The timing belt tool that Mitsu or lancershop sell will cost you close to $75! This will make off of those Cam Installs much easier! I can make these and ship them to you if you dont have the time to make one yourself. I can also weld the nut on so that its permanent which is how i made mine. a single nut welded into place. Wont brake or come loose this way. But if you dont have access to a welder, the double nut works just as well.

What you need:

18" of M8x1.25 Allthread Rod
(http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=47572)
Fastenal Is a great company to get this! The other option if you dont have access to Fastenal or metric allthread, what I had to do was go to Lowes and get a piece of 7/16" blank allthread, and a M8x1.25 thread chaser, then you just chase 3" of thread on one end and 1" on the other end!

2 M8x1.25 Nuts

That is all you need! This is very cheap and easy to do! This shoud save you alot of money over the Mitsu tool, and you can get ahold of it relatively easy!

Here is a link to Fastenal's Location Finder to see if you have one nearby, if not you can order from the link above and have it shipped to you! If you need any help, just PM me and I will do everything I can to help you!

Locations:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex

Good Luck!

Last edited by Celica2EVO; Feb 3, 2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
um, pics?
Old Feb 3, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ams makes their own for alot cheaper than lancershop or the dealership

nice writeup bro
Old Feb 3, 2008, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

there isnt really alot of need for pics. Its only an 18" peice of threaded rod with 2 bolts on one end used to turn it. Yea I know, but you have to wait for AMS to get it to you, this one you can buy and have ready within an hour or so. just take the rod and butt the 2 nuts together on one end to lock them in place.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 06:18 PM
Account Disabled

be careful if you chose tomake one....ive seen some break off.

the ams one is heat treated....
Old Feb 3, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

thats why I just used a peice of threaded rod with the nut on it. I wouldnt trust a bolt or something made like that. But the Rod never even acted like it was going to break. Just took it slow and it worked like a champ.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:43 PM

I personally just followed celica2evo's instructions and made one in about 5 mins. I purchased the rod from a local fastenal store for $3.52 tax included. found two nuts and welded them in place. grinded them down to make it look pretty. I haven't tried it out yet, cause I am still waiting for celica2evo's cams but we'll see how it works.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

glad it worked for you! I shipped the cams out on saturday with USPS Priority and they are on the way! Hope it all works well for you!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

the fastenal way is ok.
but I wouldnt recommend the 7/16" retapped with a m8 x1.25 thread if you can afford 40 bucks from AMS. I have seen it work, but it was all messed up by the end of the cam install. maybe a last resort, 1 time use only.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

when we re-threaded it it worked fine. Just make sure you put a LONG thread on it, and go over it with the tap LOTS of times to make sure the thread it cut well and there are no burs or anything. Mine still looks good as new at home. But yes, I recommend the Fastenal way also, but if you are in a crunch and you only have a Lowes or Home Depot around, they carry all the parts to make one and get by!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:30 PM

I just used my custom-made tensioner tool and works awesome. No problems, screwed right in and came out without any shavings or anything. Cool, for $3.52 well worth the money. Only took me 1/2 hour to install the new cams. Given the fact that I have access to a heated shop, air tools, and a hoist.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered one from ams and had it overnighted so i would have it in time to get the cams in my car over weekend as i travel to school and couldn't do it there. It got there in time and didn't work it would go in a half turn and just skip threads. I called ams and they told me i must have it in the wrong spot, that the tool hasn't changed in years and its no way it could be the tools fault. So Chad Block was nice enough to loan me his personal one for an evening and it worked like a charm. He even went as far as to run a tap over mine and try it , still didn't work cuz the tip was ever so slightly bent..... last thing i buy from ams, not because of the fualty tool but because it was my fualt and it couldn't possibly be their fualt.

BUSCHUR + CBRD FTMFW
Old Apr 17, 2008, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

the 7/16 bar doesn't work with a m8x 1.25 its too big
Old Apr 24, 2008, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

It does, you just have to grind the tip down a bit so the die can grab ahold, once it grabs and starts cutting the threads, it will work. Then just take a grinder and cut that part off.
Old May 26, 2008, 01:33 PM

bump this. I think he meant to say 5/16" instead of 7/16"

Quick Reply: Make Timing Belt Tensioner Tool