Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Swapping MR gauges to aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping MR gauges to aftermarket

Looking to swap my MR gauges (boost, volts, temp) for aftermarket versions and wanted to know if i could wire the new gauges using the existing MR gauge wiring? Of course, the new gauges would be boost, volt, and oil temp. Has anyone tried this?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Probably not going to happen. The stock bezel will need some serious cutting. Also the temp sender for oil temp will need to be replaced for the new gauge. You could however use the power wires, but its pretty much easier (and lighter) to remove the stock gauge harness from in between the radio harness and just tap power/ground/illum from the stock radio harness. That MR wiring boomslang type harness is a mess! Holy crap is it a mess. I have successfully removed all traces of my MR gauges (except for about 4 feet of wire that is virtually impossible to get to, and installed aftermarkets in various places. I could help you out, just post what you got!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I'm looking at getting a set of Autometer gauges in possibly Phantom II series. I was also going to get the Autometer triple gauge bezel for the stock radio location so the whole MR bezel would be replaced anyway.

I guess it would be best to start from scratch then eh? No problem, i've done gauges before many times. I just thought i'd ask to see if there was an easier way lol

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yea, you pretty much have to start from scratch. The only thing you can really re-use is the boost source that goes to the gauges. I just installed my boost sender behind the glovebox and ran the stock hose to it.