Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

i messed up! rotor/pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i messed up! rotor/pad replacement

i was good all the way up to i got to the point where i was placing the new set of brake pads back on. the little things that push the brake pads onto the rotors were out too far and couldn't push both of them in?

so i figured it could be the eBrake on. took that off same ****. so instead i decided to pump the brakes. well the **** just kept going FURTHER AND FURTHER. so i decided hey maybe cause they are looking for something to push on it may just need to be taken off and then push the brakes to compress the **** back in. (which one side did and the other side kept going outwards.

here it goes: one of the little ****s popped out of the rubber and can't get it back in and the other one looks like it has the potential of popping out as well.

WHAT THE F*ck CAN I DO!?!!!! THE LITTLE METAL PIECE IS OUT AND CAN'T PUT IT BACK IN AND THE OTHER ONE LOOKS LIKE IT'S ABOUT TO POP OUT!!!

ill post a picture next of the little metal circular piece i am referring too in the next post!
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

yes and next time i will take it to a professional. but since the first time they asked for 760$ for rotors and pad replacement i said F*CK THAT!
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by 72Tornado; Apr 24, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

stfu. i'm not in the mood to hear that type of ****. keep that comment off this thread. looking for help. not **** talk. thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NJ_evoIXgsr
stfu. i'm not in the mood to hear that type of ****. keep that comment off this thread. looking for help. not **** talk. thanks.
Perhaps if your posts were actually intelligible and not riddled with "****"s, it would help your cause.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check your pm.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

you need a clamp. Pull the cap of the brake booster if not you will build pressure up in the lines and not be able to push the pistion on. Once you have done that take the clamp and turn it down this will push the piston in. Hope that helped you out
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Please never work on a car ever again.

P.S. The "little things that push the brake pads onto the rotors" are called pistons.
I wouldn't be that mean, but next time make sure you read a how to... Changing the pads is SUPER easy if you know what you're doing and follow the right steps, unfortunately you didn't know that the pistons are in pairs, and when one pushes in, the other will get forced out by the pressure in the lines. You need to stick something in to keep the other one from pushing out too far (like an old pad, even a new pad) while you push the other side in, then put a new pad in on that side, and push the other side in.

Or get an actual piston clamp like the above said, then you can push all the pistons in at the same time. Pulling the cap off the brake fluid resevoir (brake booster) is not typically needed, but will also help. I never did that (and never have) and never had a problem on all 3 of my cars, a bit of fluid would leak out of that caliper is all.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

i actually read through a few how tos not stating anyu of that.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

If you are unsure, I would research first... we aren't all mechanics.. there are plenty of threads in the how-to section and search for brake install..
ygpm
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

i have help coming tomorrow thanks for all the information. i should have read it over 1000x more times i'm not blaming anyone but my own fault. but i don't need **** for it. i dont have the money during a recession to pay 760$ to have rotors/pads changed.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NJ_evoIXgsr
i have help coming tomorrow thanks for all the information. i should have read it over 1000x more times i'm not blaming anyone but my own fault. but i don't need **** for it. i dont have the money during a recession to pay 760$ to have rotors/pads changed.
Fair enough - I apologize for the insult It's not like I haven't made stupid mistakes working on a a car either. Hopefully you've learned your lesson from this incident.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You're probably going to have to bleed the brakes. There is also a how to on Youtube with a video. Pads are super easy, sorry to hear about your situation.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Wait, you were doing the pads AND rotors? Why? Were the rotors really bad? That job is much more complicated thann just pads (though, still not bad). 760 for 4 new pads, 4 new rotors, and install is not that bad of a price. 2 hrs of labor ~ 200, 4 decent pads ~300, 4 new rotors... easily over that remaining 260. Unless you got cheapo blanks like I did, but still that adds up to 210 (70 per rotor) and that's 710 dollars.

760 for pads+install, that's awful. More like 300 for pads, done. And then if you have somewhere do it, maybe 75-150 for install of the pads. Was the 760 a quote from a dealer?
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Pads and Rotors is easy. Pads alone is a joke.

Quick Reply: i messed up! rotor/pad replacement