Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Avid Billet Motor Mount Installation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avid Billet Motor Mount Installation

Having a little trouble figuring this out. The front mount has a much larger hole (18mm) than the fork (12mm) it's supposed to go into. Am I missing a bushing that goes in the ID of the mount? Please point me in the correct direction.

Thanks.

Last edited by project95gsx; Jul 10, 2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:24 AM

anyone?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:19 PM

that is a little odd. if you are worried about it i would drill your factory mount out to accept an 18 mm bolt. and if you dont want to drill it out tighten the bolt down really tight and the force of the fork mount around that inner sleeve might be anough to hold it solid. if you have all avid mounts that one wont be stressed that much anyways.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by blk03evo
that is a little odd. if you are worried about it i would drill your factory mount out to accept an 18 mm bolt. and if you dont want to drill it out tighten the bolt down really tight and the force of the fork mount around that inner sleeve might be anough to hold it solid. if you have all avid mounts that one wont be stressed that much anyways.
I've emailed avid racing and explained the situation. I followed up with a call today; they're supposed to get back with me Monday. I was tempted to drill the fork out, but this isn't an emergency yet, and I don't rig. I'm waiting it out until Avid calls me back or I make an aluminum sleeve for the factory bolt.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 03:44 PM

Still having problems... now with the trans driver side mount. I've got the 3/4" spacer that came with the kit, but when it's installed, it covers up the threads of the transmission studs and the mount does not appear to sit level on the trans. Is there something I'm missing? Do the studs need to be replaced with long bolts or longer studs? It's super nice out and I'm trying to get this motor back in tonight. Thanks.

Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:26 AM

wow, those mounts are a hand full. i was thinking about buying these mounts but i dont know about that anymore, please keep me posted on how they feel inside the car and how did you get the other one to fit. and one thing you could try on this mount is pulling the studs out and switching to bolts. not sure if you would want to do that or not but bolts would be easier to find then a longer stud unless you go through arp. and for the mount not being strait i remember back in the day when i was into hondas the mounts where always a little different angle then the stock ones, but not sure if the same thing applies to us.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

The mounts should be direct replacements without needing to replace bolts etc... something isnt right. wait for avid to get back to you.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the hole in the stock mount is also bigger than the hole in the front crossmember so there may be nothing wrong with it. The BLOX front engine mount however has the same hole size as the crossmember allowing for less movement. I assume they did not give you a replacement bolt and nut.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1st off for the trans mount you do not use the stock trans studs like you see in that pic. avid supplies new bolts that you use unless you bought these used or something. u need to take out the stock studs and then use the supplied bolts.

the front motor mount i cant help you with as i went with a cross member
Old Jul 19, 2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by evodan2004
1st off for the trans mount you do not use the stock trans studs like you see in that pic. avid supplies new bolts that you use unless you bought these used or something. u need to take out the stock studs and then use the supplied bolts.

the front motor mount i cant help you with as i went with a cross member
Thank you very much! Did you notice if there were sleeves that go in the drivers side transmission mount? the factory studs look like they float in there (I now know that they don't belong, but the bolts that avid supplies have to be the same size and thread...unless they're tapered bolts..?)

I'll try to get in touch with the people I got the mounts from tomorrow. Thanks for being such a big help.

PS I found a picture of what i think the full kit should look like finally. I notice there's two long bolts and two shorter bolts. The washers (I assume) go between the bolt head and the trans mount(?).

Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:37 AM

Studs are M12x1.25 thread and easily removable. Bolts from Avid are all M12x1.25 x 50mm long, not different lengths as it shows in the picture I posted above. M12 washers are included. The factory studs are easily removed using 2 jam-nuts. The torque on the bolts should be 35ft-lbs. Still having trouble with the front mount now. Made a bushing, couldn't wait to receive the one from Avid that they said they'd send me. I need to torque the top of the motor toward the front of the car to align the mount in the front. There is supposed to be a bushing in there, right? I think it's just going to require more manpower to line up the front mount.

Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

i have these mounts and the stupid f*ckin trany stud that holds the motor mount snaped in the tranny now i only have 3 bolts of the 4 bolt in that they shipped hope im not gunna have falure.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

so what the hell happened im about to try to do my lower mount too, you got me motivated. My cars only had the 2 side ones in for the last 6 months after i messed up that one stud i didint want to touch it. My mount also is way to big whats the deal.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:21 AM

I haven't been able to get the front mount on, well, i did but the cross-member bolts don't line up. The crossmember sits about 1/4" too far forward when the front mount is installed. I'm going to use a come-a-long to pull the engine backward and line up the cross-member bolts. today hopefully.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

This was a pain in the *** when I did mine. I wish they came with instructions

to pull the studs on the transmission you take two nuts and tighten them together. One upside down, then one regualar on top. Then you take a wrench on the bottom nut or ratchet on the top nut depending how tight you got them, and they come right out.

When putting in solid mounts it is hard to align the holes for the bolts to go in. This is where a screw driver is very handy.

That is not the full kit, they have one more to make a 4th, for the rear mount.

The washers (I assume) go between the bolt head and the trans mount(?).

Correct

Originally Posted by project95gsx
Thank you very much! Did you notice if there were sleeves that go in the drivers side transmission mount? the factory studs look like they float in there (I now know that they don't belong, but the bolts that avid supplies have to be the same size and thread...unless they're tapered bolts..?)

I'll try to get in touch with the people I got the mounts from tomorrow. Thanks for being such a big help.

PS I found a picture of what i think the full kit should look like finally. I notice there's two long bolts and two shorter bolts. The washers (I assume) go between the bolt head and the trans mount(?).

Quick Reply: Avid Billet Motor Mount Installation