Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

JDM 9 headlight install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM 9 headlight install

Ok, so I already feel like a total noob for asking this question..idk why but this seems like a puzzle i cant solve lol.

alright so i have an 05 evo 8 non-hid, however i do have an HID kit.

The problem is my low beam assembly is different than the jdm headlights..meaning the place where you put the low beam bulb, is different than my stock set up.
on my stock set up, you put the low beam bulb in and twist it in order to secure it (just like the fog light hole on the jdm headlights).
However, on the jdm setup, it looks like this:

PLEASE NOTE, MY STOCK HEADLIGHT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THIS:

Last edited by Tnastyevo8; Jan 14, 2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

the jdm headlights only came with the headlight, nothing else to cover the whole where the low beams go
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

ttt
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JDM housing comes with HID standard, so it uses a D2S bulb, whereas your headlight uses a 9006 halogen (if you got an HID kit, it still is a 9006 base on a D2S bulb) so it short, it won't fit. You need a pair of D2S bulbs, OEM plugs, and maybe OEM ballasts.
As for the cover on the back, it's weird, I think my JDM headlights came with one, but I'm not 100% sure.
What I did when I bought mine is get a pair of used, broken HID headlights for cheap, and swap componets over to the JDM ones (ballast, plug, bulbs) but then you have to figure out the wiring..... search my friend, it's been done/posted. G/L
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
JDM housing comes with HID standard, so it uses a D2S bulb, whereas your headlight uses a 9006 halogen (if you got an HID kit, it still is a 9006 base on a D2S bulb) so it short, it won't fit. You need a pair of D2S bulbs, OEM plugs, and maybe OEM ballasts.
As for the cover on the back, it's weird, I think my JDM headlights came with one, but I'm not 100% sure.
What I did when I bought mine is get a pair of used, broken HID headlights for cheap, and swap componets over to the JDM ones (ballast, plug, bulbs) but then you have to figure out the wiring..... search my friend, it's been done/posted. G/L
thanks for the info, yea, i have the right bulbs, its just getting it to stay there,
mine didnt come with the back cover so i guess i have to get back in touch with guppe-s
thanks for the info
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

to get it to stay there you use the metal clip thing that's showing there, it's hard to explain, you push te clip in then to the side and it folds up kind of, then put the bulb with the tabs in the right possition so it's seat, and put the clip back the same way you took it out. I hope I was clear, you do not have to unscrew anything, just mess with it a bit and you will see.
Ed
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

to get it to stay there you use the metal clip thing that's showing there, it's hard to explain, you push te clip in then to the side and it folds up kind of, then put the bulb with the tabs in the right possition so it's seat, and put the clip back the same way you took it out. I hope I was clear, you do not have to unscrew anything, just mess with it a bit and you will see.
Ed
to the right side?
am i try to push it underneath the stuck out metal with the phillips screw in it?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

look at the first pic you posted, see how there's a metal clip that's attached with a screw at the bottom and it's kind of rounded on the other end (top) well upon further inspection you don't need to unsecure it, it already is, just lift it up (again, do not remove the screw, just lever the clip) put the correct bulb (D2S) then bring the clip down again and secure it by pushing it into the base, the clip will actually push on the bulb' base (look at the last pic you posted, even though it seems the clip is not secured in that pic either) man it's hard to explain in written
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

look at the first pic you posted, see how there's a metal clip that's attached with a screw at the bottom and it's kind of rounded on the other end (top) well upon further inspection you don't need to unsecure it, it already is, just lift it up (again, do not remove the screw, just lever the clip) put the correct bulb (D2S) then bring the clip down again and secure it by pushing it into the base, the clip will actually push on the bulb' base (look at the last pic you posted, even though it seems the clip is not secured in that pic either) man it's hard to explain in written

I'm scratching my head lol.
so lost. well i took pics of the bulb and base to double check to see if it was the right one. I also took pics of the bulb in the headlight with the clip latched down, and it still doesnt hold it. maybe my base is too small?
let me know if this is what you were talking about:

the bulb and base:

and the bulb installed with clip down:

Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Bro, that is not the right bulb! I can tell that's the bulb from your HID kit, hence it's an HID bulb with a 9006 base, JDM housing is OEM HID, so it takes a D2S base, bro grab a pair of D2S bulbs from ebay or the dealer or wherever you like, but those bulbs you have will not fit, they are not OEM, you need the one with the end just like the last pic, hence why I told you to get new ballast, new plugs for the bulbs.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Bulbs you need (D2S):

Ballast you need (pictured is the OEM evo one, doesn't have to be OEM, as long as it has that bulb bas it can be a lexus, toyota, nissan, whatever OEM ballast for a D2S bulb):

Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Bro, that is not the right bulb! I can tell that's the bulb from your HID kit, hence it's an HID bulb with a 9006 base, JDM housing is OEM HID, so it takes a D2S base, bro grab a pair of D2S bulbs from ebay or the dealer or wherever you like, but those bulbs you have will not fit, they are not OEM, you need the one with the end just like the last pic, hence why I told you to get new ballast, new plugs for the bulbs.
thanks for all the info.
I'll have to have a long talk with Gruppe-S tomorrow since they are the one's that sold me this because they said it worked with jdm headlights.

Quick Reply: JDM 9 headlight install