Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

accessory belt change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accessory belt change

Let me start by saying there are more than enough threads on this topic, I am just writing about my experience and how I did this I am by no way a certified mechanic follow this at your on risk and expense. All and all this is a fairly easy job minus the alternator issue and a few bloody knuckles.

For background and PICTURES I read up on the following:

http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/belt...ltremoval.html

http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/EVO%209...Electrical.pdf

For tools:

I purchased a 1/2in breaker bar 29.99, and a jackstand/hydraulic combo for 59.99.

For Parts:

I purchased a belt (Mitsubishi part # MN158794)on Lancershop for 89.95:

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=217&page=1

Process to remove and reinstall belt:

1) Loosen lug nuts on passenger side front wheel but do not remove all the way

2) Lift car with hydraulic press and place jack stands underneath.

3) Remove front passenger wheel. (i have always placed my wheels underneath my vehicles after this for an added safety measure)

4) Remove plastic under tray and plastic around the crank pulley(somewhat time consuming)

5) Before removing the belt I sketched a diagram of how the belt moves around each pulley and this helps out a lot later.

6) Belt removal, I inserted my breaker bar into the tensioner (pictures in the joe 250 link) and pushed it forward towards the front of the car until the holes in the tensioner lined up and I inserted an allen wrench in the lined up holes to hold the tensioner forward. Now I started on snaking the belt out of the engine bay this where I had my first issue with the alternator and the small clearance it has because it is right up next to the wheel well. To fish out the belt I turned it sideways to get it around the alternator pulley. Prior to this I thought about cutting the belt, but then I thought to myself what if the new belt is the wrong one.

7) Belt installation, this is where your sketch comes in very handy. I know there are many ways to route the belt, but this is how I did it: Prior to installing the belt I kneaded and stretched it slightly with my hands. While routing the belt ensure the belt is centered on each pulley. For routing I decided to go in from the top I started by using the a/c compressor pulley as my starting point and ending with the crank pulley. The routing process is fairly easy except for once again the alternator, so once again I turned the belt sideways to get it on the pulley. Now the last part getting the belt on the alternator pulley: since the belt is new and tighter I used a very small screwdriver while pushing the tensioner forward with my half inch drive (make sure you pull out the allen wrench prior to this) and slipped the belt on.

8) Final check, start the car prior to putting everything back together and turn on all of your accessories to ensure they are working properly.

9) Replace all plastic and passenger front wheel and take it for a drive to check one last time.

This was not a hard job at all and I recommend that any one with bolt on experience do this themselves and save your cash for other maintenance issues or other performance parts.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NICE, Im about to do this when I get back from Iraq. Glad I saw this post. Thanks man...