Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Transfer case removal questions...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look for a dent puller at your local autoparts store. Find the bolt with the correct thread pitch and get it tacked on the end of the dent puller. The dent puller is basicly a slide hammer. when you thread the bolt into the shaft (drivers side) use the dent puller to pop out the shaft.

Worked like a charm, was quick to put together and cost approx 10 dollars for everything.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

The ironic thing is I can't go anywhere because my Shep Tcase is on it's way, and requires a signature. lol.

Thedru13 - I get it now, you lost me with the tape cardboard. You put the cardboard roll against the Tcase casting, Put the pulley over that, and then tighten the bolt. Seems like a good idea, I'm just suprrised the cardboard is strong enough. I might buy some 3" PVC and try it that way.

I found about a 4" carriage bolt that threaded into the Tcase. I threaded that through a heavy impact socket to make a makeshift slide hammer. It actually seemed like it should work good, but I just beat the hell out of it for a half hour and it's not even moving. Geez.

Ekoy: Those dent pullers have a pretty light plastic handle dont they? Will that really be strong enough to get it out?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

Yes it will, it takes about 10 pumps but it definatly works. I didnt believe it when i herd of this trick until i tried it.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is the setup. I can't find the cardboard ring that I used. My Garage is a mess right now.. but you got the idea.. Was super easy to pull it this way. Just popped right out..
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Yup I get the idea, thanks. Any idea what the thread specs are? I forgot to bring my carriage bolt with me today that threaded in...
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

M8 or M10?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

OK I'll answer It's M8 for anyone wondering. I built a setup like thedru13 was talking about, and THAT IS THE WAY TO GO. So easy, shaft was out in less than a minute. I used a 3" steel pipe, some M8 threaded rod, and a piece of aluminum bar stock with a hole in the middle.
Old May 1, 2010, 07:52 PM

when we were doing a clutch replacement, we didnt drop the subframe, or unhalf the TC, just wiggled it out, probably moved the engine a bit forward....
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

You have to take the shaft out of the tranny to the transfer *** on the driver side. There is thread inside the shaft find your self a screw that you could thread into not all the way though. Get a slide hammer or a pulley remover to get it out. The slide hammer works beautiful if you don t have one AutoZone rents them and once you turn it you get your money back
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

Also dropping the subframe makes it a lot easier you don't have to drop it all the way but just enough for the TC to clear easy. If you do decide to drop it all the way (I did and it was a blast) makes sure before you take off the 10mm bolt on the input shaft you make a mark (sharpie) on both sides so you don't have to play around later with your steering. If you need anyhelp shoot me a pm I'll give you my cell number since I just did this whole procedure 2 weeks ago so it's still stuck in my head lol