Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Invidia 02 Housing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invidia 02 Housing

So wanna save myself some money by installign parts myself b4 bringing my car to a mechanic

I was wondering how diffucult is it to replace the 02 housing on a stock 9 turbo ??

Im installing the invidia 02 housing

I know i have to do the following
- get pb blaster to spray the bolts down on the 02
- unclip the 02 sensor
- and flush the radiator and remove it for more space to work with for replacing the 02 sensor

How about the actual install ??

Any tips on how to make the install as smooth as possible would be great considering this is my first time doing it loll

thanks !
Old Sep 1, 2010, 08:55 AM

This should answer any questions you have...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...sing-pics.html
Old Sep 1, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may run into a couple of problems specific to the Invidia O2 housing. The O2 sensor is not located in the same place as the factory housing. You will most likely have to extend the O2 sensor wires to reach the new location. Also, I don't think that all of the original studs/ bolts from the factory oem unit will work on the Invidia. I haven't installed mine yet, but I have a spare exhaust manifold and turbo that I'm using as a mock-up to avoid as many little surprises as possible. I installed new studs in the turbo housing, and some had to be cut shorter (installed height) to clear the Invidia housing. Make certain the you have the Invidia brass down-pipe gasket because the standard doughnut will not work. Good luck!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:21 PM

so the invidia housing doesn't come with all the parts needed to make the install as easy as possible?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRsnoopy
so the invidia housing doesn't come with all the parts needed to make the install as easy as possible?
It comes with the brass downpipe gasket and the turbo housing gasket. No studs or bolts. You will not be able to reuse the oem studs unless you shorten them. Easier and better to use new ones (which still have to be modified). I just mentioned the brass downpipe gasket in case you bought a used Invidia housing without one. It took me about two months to get a spare from Invidia.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

I installed my O2 housing without removig the radiator. It was tight, but doable. Watch out for bolts that can break off. If one does you will have to retap it. It is time consuming, but do a bunch of reading from the many how to's on here before attemtping it.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
if I were closer I would be down to help but yeah it's best to take the radiator out to free up some space and it's really not that hard to do it just gotta keep track of all the little washers and not lose any of else you might end up with some leaks so I would get some small zip lock baggies and label them with whatever nuts/bolts you're putting in them

-drain radiator
-pull out radiator
-take off intake and some intercooler piping(licp and part of the uicp to free up some space)
-loosen all the exhaust manifold nuts
-taking the downpipe off would help as well to get to the bolt holding the o2 housing onto the bolt
-loosen and unclamp all the oil and coolant lines(return line to the oil pan and the two or three on the driver side of the block)
-put the screws and washers from those lines into a bag so you don't loose them
-take all the nuts off of the exhaust manifold and pull that bish off

Last edited by L888Apex; Sep 3, 2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

I installed my O2 housing without removig the radiator. It was tight, but doable. Watch out for bolts that can break off. If one does you will have to retap it. It is time consuming, but do a bunch of reading from the many how to's on here before attemtping it.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

With the Invidia O2 housing you need to extend the O2 sensor wires as well as trim 1 stud in order to bolt it to the hotside.

Can this be done in the car? No way - a Megan O2 housing can be done in the car because it's a lot smaller. You have to pull the turbo if you plan to tighten the bolt that is closest to the block. I need to pull my turbo (well because my engine needs a rebuild) but - I cannot get to that 1 bolt to make sure its tight, it's impossible.

As far as keeping the radiator in the car - just pull it, you will have a lot more room to work, not to mention you won't hit it and damage it. It's easy to pull it, drain coolant, 2 bolts, 2 hoses, 1 electrical connection for the fan.

-Bink
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:50 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm not sure if people thought of this but you don't NEED to trim that stud to put it on you can just put the o2 housing on a enough to make the stud poke through the hole slightly then start tightening it by hand little by little and then put it on fully and tighten it down so that you don't have to trim it
Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l888apex
I'm not sure if people thought of this but you don't NEED to trim that stud to put it on you can just put the o2 housing on a enough to make the stud poke through the hole slightly then start tightening it by hand little by little and then put it on fully and tighten it down so that you don't have to trim it
Sorry man, but that statement is not correct.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8247731-post131.html

-Bink
Old Sep 4, 2010, 01:31 PM
EvoM Guru

worked on my car^^^
Old Sep 5, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

I did mine without taking off the radiator. Just take off the hotside of the turbo. You have to be careful not to damage the turbo fins. Comes off easy though. Those nuts on the o2 housing are a PITA so its way easier to take it out and put it on a bench vise and do it with some arm room. Definitely would recommend to buy new studs, Those stock studs get pretty rusted over the years. Depends on their condition though. Good luck though bro.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l888apex
worked on my car^^^
Maybe the Invidia castings are not all the same, and you were lucky. In my case, I have to agree with binky. There was no way the Invidia housing would clear the oem studs. Even using double gaskets (which I would never do) would not have given sufficient clearance.