Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Help with MBC please.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with MBC please.

Okay I got my boost gauge and MBC installed and I am looking at the proper way at setting my boost up.

I am not looking to jump my boost up right now (not until after I get other things on and a tune), I just want to make sure I am running correct boost.

At this point I have intake, intercooler piping, and a TBE (test pipe).

The instructions on the MBC said to set it up in 3rd or 4th gear at 2k RPMs. My question then is what should my boost be at those RPMs? I am guessing 18-20. I have also heard that in the winter (cold weather) boost is higher and that I will have to readjust it in the summer (warmer weather) or just find a happy median. I want to make sure I am doing it correctly, but my searches have given me little help.

For my boost gauge I did the in gage cluster install that is mentioned on here using the 45mm gauge that lights up the same color as factor dash lights. Despite it being brighter that dash lights and white numbers when the lights are out it looks pretty stock. Also installed my Evo 9 BOV as well. My wife got the three things for me for Christmas and this was the first weekend I have had a chance to get busy on putting the things in.

This is the thread I am talking about.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ul-gauges.html
And this poster has the same set up that I now have so it looks the same.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6618489-post82.html

Raist
Old Jan 9, 2011, 03:14 PM

Just simply get the boost gauge to read the peak boost that you're setup for. If you're tuned for 25 psi, for example, just dial in the BC to read 25 psi peak pressure. Start off with the knob turned mostly out and make necessary adjustments from there.

Cold weather will not affect dialing in the boost, because it will be as accurate as the weather is when you do the adjustment. Not saying you wont have to adjust when it gets colder or warmer.

2nd or 3rd will be a good gear to get that reading, a passenger may also assist in this process.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bcrance13
Just simply get the boost gauge to read the peak boost that you're setup for. If you're tuned for 25 psi, for example, just dial in the BC to read 25 psi peak pressure. Start off with the knob turned mostly out and make necessary adjustments from there.

Cold weather will not affect dialing in the boost, because it will be as accurate as the weather is when you do the adjustment. Not saying you wont have to adjust when it gets colder or warmer.

2nd or 3rd will be a good gear to get that reading, a passenger may also assist in this process.

Sorry to make this seem harder than it might be, but I just want to check again.

The gauge should read the peak boost I want (basically right at the top stock boost for now) at 2k RPMs? Or should I go a bit higher with the RPMs?

Again sorry to keep asking, it is just how I am on things (checking multiple times).

Raist
Old Jan 9, 2011, 05:54 PM

You'll have to go ahead and stretch the revs out till you build desired boost. You'll only build like 5 pounds by 2k rpm.

1. Install MBC
2. Adjust the MBC to the least amount of boost
3. Do a pull in 2nd or 3rd all the way to 6k or so and see what the gauge reads
4. Adjust the MBC to raise or lower the boost pressure

You want the car to build the most boost it will make at the MBC setting so you know what its going to regulate at.

Done.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bcrance13
You'll have to go ahead and stretch the revs out till you build desired boost. You'll only build like 5 pounds by 2k rpm.

1. Install MBC
2. Adjust the MBC to the least amount of boost
3. Do a pull in 2nd or 3rd all the way to 6k or so and see what the gauge reads
4. Adjust the MBC to raise or lower the boost pressure

You want the car to build the most boost it will make at the MBC setting so you know what its going to regulate at.

Done.

Okay that is what I was looking for. The 2k RPMs alone did not make sense so I came here to ask.

I already have everything installed and the car started fine, I just need to get the MBC tinkered in.

Thanks for the help.

Raist
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make sure to try on 5th gear also..ive personally had the boost spike up from where i originally set it off of 3rd or 4th gear. adjust accordingly
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evilawd100
make sure to try on 5th gear also..ive personally had the boost spike up from where i originally set it off of 3rd or 4th gear. adjust accordingly
Thanks, will do.

Raist
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:59 PM

thank you for all the info. have my mbc in my room and boost guage on the way
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:38 PM

No problem. Its definitely not hard.

Just dont crank the MBC down too far when you start out. Dont want to spike too far above what youre tuned for.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

To update I got it dialed in.

I am running around 19-20 psi. Later after more parts and a tune it will go higher.

Took several miles to get it done (needed sae places to pull over), and a lot of times getting in and out, but it is done.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:38 PM

Thats how I set mine, and yeah when the air got colder it boosted a little higher so I backed it off some. Not had even a slight problem with it for 10+ months