Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to: Know if it's too late for your transfer case

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011 | 05:08 PM

How to: Know if it's too late for your transfer case

My car started making the infamous whine a few days ago. At least I think that's the problem.

It only comes on during acceleration, and goes away immediately when the throttle is released. It is not constant during moving at all. I did some reading and couldn't find my answer. I'm going to change the fluid tomorrow after I purchase some diaqueen 75w90 from the dealer and start there.

I guess my ultimate question is, is it too late? Could this be something else?

I purchased the car a month ago and have come to realize the maint. was poor from the previous owner.

Any input or advice would help.

Thanks.

-Alex
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Changing the fluid should tell you a lot, see how much shavings there are any metal shavings and if the noise goes away with the fluid change. If the noise doesn't go away, I would say it might be too late. Rebuilds aren't too expensive though, you'll be ok. Good luck!
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 07:02 PM

as posted above the fluid will tell you alot. i always use a simple paint strainer like used when pouring automotive paint into the gun just before spraying to strain all fluids as well as checking the plug for shavings.
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedFury
purchase some diaqueen 75w90 from the dealer and start there.
Alex, I'm guessing this was a typo, but your Transfer case requires SAE 90 GL-5 Diaqueen LSD fluid.

Mitsubishi p/n MIT.3775610

I hope your whine goes away with the fluid change

Cheers,

Phil
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

It only comes on during acceleration, and goes away immediately when the throttle is released. It is not constant during moving at all. I did some reading and couldn't find my answer. I'm going to change the fluid tomorrow after I purchase some diaqueen 75w90 from the dealer and start there.
A real death whine would be a constant whine whether you apply accel or not. I have had this whine too for a while and come to realize it might be something else in the entire drivetrain. Like a gear's teeth got chipped or something. I really don't know about the previous fluids as I guess the dealership I bought it from already did the fluids and decided to not tell customers what came out with the fluids as it was being drained.
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Make sure that you buy the Diaqueen in it's own unopened container. You DO NOT want to trust that the dealer is selling you the proper fluid out of their 55 gal drum. I got the wrong fluid that way and it cost me a xfer case...
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Look at jackstransmissions.com for a how to on properly filling tcase ....1 quart of redline heavyweight shock proof will do it.GL!
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 01:29 PM

Hey guys,

Yes, I purchased the 90 GL-5 Diaqueen today.

I changed out my transfer case and diff fluid in one shot. Had the car jacked up on four points and followed the instructions on evomoto.

When I pulled each drain plug the fluid was pitch black and had very tiny metal shavings, nothing too big. From pulling out previous drain plugs, this case was bad, but not horrible.

The noises reduced about 75%. There is still some whine but its not as bad.

There is another noise that is occurring on the car that I had not noticed until the whine came down.

When I slightly accelerate while driving in gear, it makes a rattling noise. The same exact noise occurs when I am driving, and push the clutch pedal all the way in. The noise goes away when I stop.

So now I am left with this noise, and some whine.

Any thoughts?

When I peaked at the clutch today when removing the small rubber boot, it had a blue cover. I'm guessing an exedy. The clutch doesn't seem all that great to begin with. Could this be playing a role in the rattling noise? Warped flywheel or disk?

I'm going to have my fiance drive it later while I hang outside the window to see if I could make better resolution to the noise. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Thanks for all the help guys.

-Alex
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 06:17 PM

Few Updates after the drive:

The noise only occurs 3rd thru 5th when accelerating and pushing the clutch in while the car is moving. The faster the car is going, and the higher the gear, overall the noise is louder.

So in 5th gear, a slight accel is a very loud rattle.

I bled the clutch line tonight just in case and the noise is still there.

I'm out of ideas, any way this could be the tranny? Or maybe it's just a missing tooth in the tc?
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

My drivetrain is on the way to AWD for a rebuild. I had a broken front diff (in the tcase) and couldnt steer the damn car cuz the teeth wouldnt mesh. Rather than get it fixed, I waited another 5 months till last week to send it. At this point I had the death whine too. Its very loud. Obnoxiously loud lol. I didnt get it if I stayed under 30mph or so. After my buddy drained the fluid, it was nice and chunky and looked like The Tin Man had dhiareeah.
Also, toward the last 2 times i drove the car, I got a rattling sound. It sounded like 3 bumblebees having a rough orgy in an aluminum can.

Anywho, AWD should receive the drivetrain (tranny and tcase) the day after tomorrow so it will be interesting to see what happens. I am pretty sure the Viscous unit is shot. I will probably be buying a brand new one but they are tossing me a decent core charge that will make up for the shipping lol.
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 09:11 PM
Former Sponsor

The whine is usually as you lift throttle on decel and as it gets worse its on accel and decel and upper gears.. Fluid will not fix it but it will prolong it.. Just know that if you wait until it completely locks up and/or strips the teeth the whole unit will become unusable.. if you send it out for repair while it is just barely whining it will save you $$ and headache down the road..

Xearo, thanks for the name drop.. Much appreciated..

Mike
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

I'm gonna send my t-case to AWD for a rebuild soon. Heard nothing but good things and seen for myself over the years I've been a member here.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 05:56 AM

Hey Mike at AWD,

From your experience, what seems to be my problem?

The car makes the rattling on when I accel. It is especially loud on just the slightest accel in 3rd-5th gear. It also makes this noise but more faint when the clutch is pressed in while the car is moving (Whether in gear or not). The whine is very slight, pretty much gone throughout each phase.

Should I be looking somewhere else? I want to fix the problem now, but don't want to through the hassle of removing the t-case if that's not the problem.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey Mike at AWD,

From your experience, what seems to be my problem?

The car makes the rattling on when I accel. It is especially loud on just the slightest accel in 3rd-5th gear. It also makes this noise but more faint when the clutch is pressed in while the car is moving (Whether in gear or not). The whine is very slight, pretty much gone throughout each phase.

Should I be looking somewhere else? I want to fix the problem now, but don't want to through the hassle of removing the t-case if that's not the problem.
That rattle can be the diff in the case or it could be 100 different other rattles in the driveline hard to say without seeing the car.. The rattle i cant say 100% but the whine would 95% be the tcase.. sometimes its the rear diff and its hard to tell but 95% tcase.. if its your trans you can pull the tcase the same time and inspect it so id say 99% driveline.. if the clacking noise is the trans diff or parts in trans then it wont hurt to check tcase anyway..

Mike
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 08:17 PM

So I think I know what the problem is..

I decided to rev the car at idle and lay underneath it to listen for noises...

While near the pulleys right under the oil pan, that's when the rattling noise is most clear. As soon as the engine is revved, the tensioner moves, and the noise comes and dissapears as the car goes back to idle.

I'm guessing this could be the crank or another component in the bottom end?

I recently did a serp. belt replacement. That's all I could think that could have affected this.

Thanks.

-Alex

Quick Reply: How to: Know if it's too late for your transfer case