Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Transmission reinstall tips need

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission reinstall tips need

So I've been trying to get my transmission back in after doing a clutch job on jack stands. This is my second time doing it, first time it was easy, but for some reason I'm struggling this time around to get the transmission back on. So I thought I'd ask for some tips while I'm sitting here waiting for the rain to stop. Thanks in advance
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If its just trouble getting lined up on splines of the shaft of the transmission, we had one friend hold up the trans and rock back and fourth as another person was sitting on the floor underneath pushing in with their legs against the trans.

This was also on a hydro tob, dont know if this helps.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

you just gotta make it happen. i had friend work on lining it up while i layed down and bench pressed it up.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:05 PM

Your gunna have to fight it in there, I worked on my with a buddy for a whole hour trying to wrestle it in. if you can get a tranny jack and put your trans on that and have somebody on top jiggling the tranny around while you push. It will work just might take a lil longer then you think.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:08 PM

IF you have an engine hoist it can help you hear. on the top of the case, near the centerline, is a cast loop with a ~1/2" dia hole in it. if you put a chain at this point and lift the gearbox, it will roughly balance it out at the appropriate angle to get it lined up perfectly with minimal effort on your part. having done a few dozen DSM gearbox drops in the past, it was nice to see that little feature there on the evo and i didn't actually notice it until my fifth or sixth evo clutch swap
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:34 AM

when I did my clutch, my buddy and I had a jack under the engine and one under the trans, and we tried to get the angle right by using both jacks. Took us a bit of time, but it eventually went on.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Trying turning the engine over buy hand a little bit to jiggle the splines into place. Also make sure youre not installing an ACT clutch because they are garbage and you will have problems.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Had same problem with mine it took some good effort to get it on.we got it close enough to get a bolt on the top and bottom going into the block then tighten them and it sucks the tranny into position. Make sure you line up the tease swell as I had problems with it to just jiggled it into position
Old Mar 10, 2011, 05:01 PM

Try locking the trans in gear so the input shaft doesn't spin. This will help out dramatically. Also, while installing try to tilt the trans back towards the firewall and put the trans on the input shaft and then rotate the trans back to line the dowel pins up to put it on. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 05:42 PM

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles..._article_id=27
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by BoxerSix
IF you have an engine hoist it can help you hear. on the top of the case, near the centerline, is a cast loop with a ~1/2" dia hole in it. if you put a chain at this point and lift the gearbox, it will roughly balance it out at the appropriate angle to get it lined up perfectly with minimal effort on your part. having done a few dozen DSM gearbox drops in the past, it was nice to see that little feature there on the evo and i didn't actually notice it until my fifth or sixth evo clutch swap
im trying this for sures next time, i used a bike jack..it was still complicated.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I ended up using a motorcycle jack with a piece of 1" plywood cut to the dimensions of the 2 rests. It was nice and easy because I then bolted the plywood right to the jack and then I had one big flat area to work with sliding the tranny all around. Once I was close just had to man handle the thing and get the splines lined up while pushing. It took 3 trys to get everything lined up then was able to slide it in. It's a PITA but very do-able by yourself.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerSix
Wow... I wish I had seen this post about 6 months ago. I struggled with the tranny for HOURS with a friend before we got it on there (my first clutch install, ever). There was an engine hoist sitting 10 feet away the entire time.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SwishaSweet
Trying turning the engine over buy hand a little bit to jiggle the splines into place. Also make sure youre not installing an ACT clutch because they are garbage and you will have problems.
Care to back this up with some facts before you start bashing? I have had mine in for quite some time at well over 350 ft/lbs of tq and have had NO issues. No lockout of any kind and I shift at 8k. When it comes time to get another, I will be going with an ACT 6 puck sprung. There are a lot of other members on here that would also disagree with your accusations of ACT clutches being "garbage".
/ rant
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:07 PM

What exactly is "hard". Check to see if the friction disc is aligned with the input shaft or center within the presure plate and flywheel. if its to heavey then use a jack under neath to help with the weight.