Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

AMS FMIC and LICP install write up (no pics)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS FMIC and LICP install write up (no pics)

First off, I cant thank Lancershop.com enough for helping me with placing an order and having it shipped. They were very friendly and helped me through choosing the parts, all the way through installation. Which thankfully was a breeze! But heres a quick write up anyhow for anyone looking for better instructions than what AMS provides. Which is like the bare minimum by the way. So here goes.

Tools needed: Philips, Flat head, 10mm socket, 12mm socket, Extension, and one 10mm open end wrench.

Step 1: Lift your Evo on a flat surface and take off the front two tires.* (This is optional, but trust me, just makes it a whole lot easier to work on. Provided you have a nifty air drill to pop the wheels off nicely)

Step 2: Open your hood and unbolt the 3 bolts holding your front bumper onto the frame. I believe they are all 12mm nuts.

Step 3: In each wheel well, there are two screw snaps that need to be taken out. They are flimsy and are easily stripped (they are plastic) so be gentle, or have a friend near by that can drive you to Autozone to pick up new ones. Along with those two clips on each side (That's 4 total) there is also a 10mm nut toward the top of both wheel wells that needs to be taken off.

Step 4: Roll under your nice and lifted Evo (see? wasn't it worth it?) and start the tedious process of popping/unscrewing of aaaaaaall the little pop screws under neath there. I believe i counted 14 in total, but i cant remember exactly.

Step 5: Remove the under tray.

Step 6: There are two little plastic covers just above the air ducts on your front bumper. Remove these covers and inside each one is a pretty little 12mm nut inside. There is one on each side of the bumper, if you have the Front license plate bracket, this will need to be removed to access the nut.

Step 7: Once that's off, the front bumpers free! Make sure to catch it, and set it aside somewhere safe.

Step 8: Inside each side of the crash beam are two 12mm nuts, (4 in total) you'll need an extension to get to these. Removal of these will cause the crash beam to slide right off. Set it aside.

Step 9: Unbolt the top nut on the stock FMIC and the 3 bolts holding it down on the bottom. Take a phillips screw driver and loosen up all the clams connecting it to the piping and break that sucker free. Toss into the garage.

Step 10: Using the old bolts, bolt up your brand new and shiny AMS FMIC.

Step 11: Connect all the old hoses up to the new FMIC, make sure all clamps are tight, and start up the engine. Check for boost leaks, any air leaks, or anything that just looks like it's gonna fall off at freeway speeds.

IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY NEW PIPING, JUST REVERSE FROM STEP 8-1 AND YOUR DONE!
However if you do have the LICP like i did, you have 1 extra step, or about 5 minutes of extra work.

Step 12: Facing your intercooler, everything to the left of it piping wise gets replaced with new LICP. On the right of it, if your running stock piping, your gonna want to use the long 30 degree coupler on the drivers side. Makes it look a lot nicer.

And thats it! If you got the intercooler with the AMS logo stamped on the front, (and if you didn't i commend you for your ability to be so humble as to turn down the desire to flaunt it around like the rest of us) It really is clearly visible through our front grills. I thought it'd be harder to see, but no. And im glad!

So there you have it, and congrats on your new AMS FMIC!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:50 AM

Thanks! Was useful also for ETS FMIC and LICP!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:03 PM

Good to hear! Congrats on the new upgrades too
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:08 PM

I gotta question. Does any other LICP work with the AMS FMIC ie. ETS or so........I have the AMS FMIC and I'm about to get the lower and upper pipes but I see some other brands that r way cheaper.......
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Great write-up. Some pictures would really help. lol
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:17 PM

I'll see about getting pictures up today. (not sure how)
Old Jun 30, 2011, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Alpha1
I gotta question. Does any other LICP work with the AMS FMIC ie. ETS or so........I have the AMS FMIC and I'm about to get the lower and upper pipes but I see some other brands that r way cheaper.......
i've read and seen people run AMS FMIC and ETS LICP.
thats what I am going to do
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alpha1
To my understanding, yes. AMS provides 2 different couplers during the install, one for if you have the factory piping (upper and lower) and another for any aftermarket piping you may have (again, upper or lower) So it should be a perfect fit, however im not 100% sure.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I use different LICP and UICP with my AMS intercooler. I think any pipe fits (except for special stuff like buschur LICP?). Just pick the coupler that works best.

And I didn't fully take off the undertray. I pulled out the clips for just the front and the ones around the front sides (whatever holds it to the bumper, and that one random one that holds it to the intercooler). And then I installed the intercooler and pipes. Then for trimming I still did with the undertray partly mounted and the IC installed. Trimming turned out pretty well......for garden shears. Dremel would've been much better. That effing undertray is tough! Also I did not pull off wheels.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Guy
And thats it! If you got the intercooler with the AMS logo stamped on the front, (and if you didn't i commend you for your ability to be so humble as to turn down the desire to flaunt it around like the rest of us) It really is clearly visible through our front grills. I thought it'd be harder to see, but no. And im glad!
I waited the extra 3 days for them to make me an IC with no logo.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:51 PM

thank you, this was a big help!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by deeman101
I waited the extra 3 days for them to make me an IC with no logo.
Haha, I had the same problem, just opposite. They shipped it with no logo, so i returned it for one with it on there. I think im a brand *****
Old Jul 3, 2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by mpls:boost
thank you, this was a big help!
Glad i could help! Makes me want to do more of these write ups Just gotta figure out the whole pictures thing
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:50 AM

nice writeup!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:42 AM

Is a retune needed after an intercooler upgrade?