Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Any benefit to recirculating a bov?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any benefit to recirculating a bov?

I put an hks bov on and didn't bother to recirculate it, is there a reason i'd want to? I've been driving for a couple weeks with no issues.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

the only thing i notice is the car surges like a **** in the highway at quarter throttle with a recirc.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

search on here for recirc vs vta, esp with the hks. theres prob a billion threads on why you want to do it vs not. covered hundreds of times. this thread will prob get closed, so in before that.

search bar blows, so go to google and narrow by evom.

unless your running SD, you want to recirc. our cars run like crap vta and is all for sound. dont take my word for me, like i said, search. gl
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:51 AM

It blows off the remaining air that would otherwise be recirculated back into the intake track. Our cars have metered air flow so it dumps in that much fuel for how much air is missing. It causes the bad idle, dying when clutch is in right after a blow off, and richness between shifts and any other time the BOV releases. If you vent, it is nothing more than a show off valve and has no performance attire at all.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what "hereitcomes" said. Hit the nail right on the head
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

theirs almost no reason to vent unless your running sd with a big turbo.. basically venting is if you want your car to sound like a hotwheel toy.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, it will probably stumble between shifts if you granny shift it, also your are prolly gonna foul plugs up much quicker. Stop being boy-racer and recirc that thing! LOL.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recirc is also better for transient response, since the air is being shove back in the intake and making the turbo spool quicker. Some people dont/cant notice it but thats the theory.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by escodotcarter
Recirc is also better for transient response, since the air is being shove back in the intake and making the turbo spool quicker. Some people dont/cant notice it but thats the theory.
I have to disagree with this statement. When you recirculate the air it's going to take the path of least resistance. If you push it back into your intake pipe it's going to try and charge the pipe (pressurize it) so the air will rush in and try to enter the turbo but will also flow out the filter where there is almost no resistance. So if the air reaches the turbo and encounters resistance, it will go back the other way and exit out the filter side. This is why you can hear the blow off valve much more with an open filter as opposed to a stock type of filter.
But as others have stated, recirculating will keep your car from running rich between shifts. Some people notice this more than others.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^^makes sense.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:36 AM
EPK

Originally Posted by wazzelby
I have to disagree with this statement. When you recirculate the air it's going to take the path of least resistance. If you push it back into your intake pipe it's going to try and charge the pipe (pressurize it) so the air will rush in and try to enter the turbo but will also flow out the filter where there is almost no resistance. So if the air reaches the turbo and encounters resistance, it will go back the other way and exit out the filter side. This is why you can hear the blow off valve much more with an open filter as opposed to a stock type of filter.
But as others have stated, recirculating will keep your car from running rich between shifts. Some people notice this more than others.
Good info!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

I used a HKS BOV that VTA, The sound is not worth it. Another thread I read awhile ago said that you get a 2% performance increase while recir. but fuel consumption was the most noticable change. MPG was down quite a noticable amount. I.E. I was getting 20-30km less off the tank.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:50 PM

I have an HKS SSQV....cant wait to get a different bov....it surges way too much
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
In my mind, only an Evo that is running Speed Density is allowed to VTA. All Evos still running a MAF system should recirculate the BOV. Not only will the car drive better than VTA but it will also increase the longevity of the powertrain.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tchasen916
I have an HKS SSQV....cant wait to get a different bov....it surges way too much
Very true I liked my 9 bov more than this HKS. But on the other hand the HKS sounds better and vented it sounds ridiculous. SO LOUD

Quick Reply: Any benefit to recirculating a bov?