Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Help with Prosport Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Prosport Gauges?

I have 3 gauges, Prosport Digital Air/Fuel (Left) AEM Boost Gauge (Center) and another Prosport Oil Pressure Gauge (Right)

The Aem Boost gauge works fine but the 2 Prosport gauges dont even light up and the Oil Pressure gauge needle is always at 30 even if the car is not on.

Can someone help me figure out how to get these 2 Prosport gauges working? I just bought this car and this is how it came so I havent done any of my own work on it.

Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car came like that? chances are the guy didn't actually connect them them to a proper source but just had them in for looks. Not 100% but that prosport afr gauge is probabaly narrow band (useless for anything other than lights that look cool in your dash). If it just has a sweep of rich - shoich - lean, then its narrowband and just taking up space where a more useful gauge could be. Oil press is nice to have but if it doesn't move when the car is running, the sensor is busted or not connected to a pressure source. Your gonna have to trace where the wires lead to, so yank that pod off and see whats going on back there. You just bought it? Well its time to get to know your evo....better yet, get to know this website, it has all the info you need. Start searching for gauge install write ups. If you don't have any luck, post up here...I'll check back and help you out and we'll get those SOBs working.

First tho:
1) Pull the gauge pod and find where all the wires go (hint: theres a hole in the firewall leading to engine bay behind the passenger glove box)
2) Get under the car and take a look at the housing the oil filter is connected to. It has 2 ports in it that most people use for an oil pressure or temp reading. The ports are plugged from the factory, but can be removed..
3) Confirm if that afr gauge is narrowband....refer to my description above. If it is, its useless to you.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://prosportgauges.com/wideband_AFR_Gauge.aspx

according to prosport they are a wideband.

To OP, I would look under the car and verfiy there is a third o2 sensor to at least let you know that the previous owner at least attempted to use the gauge. The gauges themselves need a switched power source for them to light up when the car is on, so it looks like they arent even hooked up, or hooked up wrong. Definately need to pull the gauges out and see whats going on and where they hook to if at all. Your not gonna get any answers until you pull those gauges out. Good luck.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
it's probably just not grounded right
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:08 PM

Alright thanks a lot for the help everyone. I will look into it more. Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Check the oil pressure sensor locations one is behind the engine block and the other is located next to the oil filter housing.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:45 AM

Ok so I took the gauge pods apart and I have a few questions. In picture 1 what is that red switch? Its connected to a red light on the side of the gauge cluster.

Looking at the back of the oil pressure gauge there is 4 plugs and only 2 of them are connected.

In the 3rd pic the wire connected to the boost gauge has an open plug too? What is all this?

Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the red button is to recalibrate the gauge. Its not something you need to press often though.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by TommiM
the red button is to recalibrate the gauge. Its not something you need to press often though.
Ok thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:41 PM

So i checked the oil pressure sensor and it is connected. I dont know what else to check?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
where is it connected to and where is the ground connected?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
where is it connected to and where is the ground connected?
Its connected on the back of the block.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:45 PM

Contacted the previous owner and he said he wasnt able to get power to the oil pressure and air/fuel gauges. Does anyone know if the oil pressure gauge has to have all 4 plugs connect in the back? There are only 2 plugs connected and 2 empty ones. There arent any other wires to plug in though?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:51 PM

Try rewiring them to the ignition power.. or are they already connected there?