Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

First clutch job! AARRGGHHH!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a axle popper tool that I use, they worked excellent to get the cv axles off. A quick tap and they were off. I have seen some guys also just use a pry bar and hammer to tap the axle off.

Im in the process of getting my transmission off. I only seem to have 30 min here or 20 min there to work on it so this might take me a while.

After getting the trans off the transfercase couldnt you just jack the engine up after you get the transmission slid off to give you more room? Im doing this on jackstands as well and it doesnt seem like its really necessary to lower the subframe? Looks like if you just unbolt the dri side motor mount and bracket completely, it should give you plenty of room assuming you have the vehicle jacked up high enough. Unless you guys are talking about the lower front crossmember that holds the front motor mount?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tech_id=27
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:36 AM

Love reading these threads.. I did a clutch on a Mitsubshi Magna (Transverse FWD).. that wasn't so bad.. but when I did my Legnum (much like an evo, AWD, same drivetrain).. the added AWD complexity adds quite a bit to the job.

The extra pain on the Legnum being a Twin Turbo V6 -- is the rear turbo and most notably hard oil lines get in the way a bit trying to get one of the transfer case bolts off.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 07:02 PM

Well we finished after 20 some odd hours. Quite a learning experience that built my confidence (somewhat). I reffered to evom numerous times throughout this round of mods. Very helpful!!!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About to do my Evo clutch, cant be as bad as the mazdaspeed 6 i did, that trans and Tcase were insane Heavy i did all the work myself on jack stands. only thing i had to replace other then the clutch/flywheel was the A-Arm Grease boots they were worn and just didnt make it after using a pickle fork on em lol
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blowngasket
About to do my Evo clutch, cant be as bad as the mazdaspeed 6 i did, that trans and Tcase were insane Heavy i did all the work myself on jack stands. only thing i had to replace other then the clutch/flywheel was the A-Arm Grease boots they were worn and just didnt make it after using a pickle fork on em lol
Good luck and have fun!!!!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by blowngasket
That is insanity...I love it!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol that output shaft scared me but you are not suppose to hit it...

Basically the exhaust hanger bolts had the same thread pitch as the output shaft we threaded it then used a wire coat hanger and wrapped it around the bolt then the other end to a 3lb sledge hammer.

3 quick pulls and it was out
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:52 AM

I am getting ready to pull my tranny to replace the clutch and flywheel, wish me luck!

How much of a PITA is it to reinstall the cradle/subframe if you decide to take it out?

I heard taking that out makes life much more enjoyable!!!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:20 PM

cant beat a job that you do yourself and save like 800 bones for most shops plust the learning experience of doing it... props for doing it yourself!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lethal_427
I am getting ready to pull my tranny to replace the clutch and flywheel, wish me luck!

How much of a PITA is it to reinstall the cradle/subframe if you decide to take it out?

I heard taking that out makes life much more enjoyable!!!
save yourself from total aggravation and remove it at all costs!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:47 PM

This is a great thread. I paid out the @$$ years ago when the stock went out, I would definitely give it a go myself now. But I also refuse to put anything but the best on my car now..

I can't believe that these clutches can be done in less than 6 hours 0.0
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Evo Guy 86
This is a great thread. I paid out the @$$ years ago when the stock went out, I would definitely give it a go myself now. But I also refuse to put anything but the best on my car now..

I can't believe that these clutches can be done in less than 6 hours 0.0
I read somewhere on here about some shop in NY doing evo clutch jobs in 3 hours for like $600! WTF
Old Apr 6, 2012, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Beebo05
I read somewhere on here about some shop in NY doing evo clutch jobs in 3 hours for like $600! WTF
Yea I'd like to know what shop that is???
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

This is one of those things that I would gladly pay to have a professional do just for peace of mind. I'm sure I could do it, but I wouldn't want to sit there after I bolt everything back up 10 hours later and wonder if I really did torque everything perfect, line the clutch up right, orient the disc the right way, etc. A lot of places to make catastrophic mistakes.

Quick Reply: First clutch job! AARRGGHHH!!!