Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

First clutch job! AARRGGHHH!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First clutch job! AARRGGHHH!!!

Well me and a buddy of mine are 15 hours into it now and it's still on the lift. We are using the write up from evomoto.com. It's an excellent how-to and would suggest it to anyone doing a clutch job. We had to beat the hell out of the driver side axle to get it out. Needless to say, I had to order a replacement axle. Also, we ignored the strong suggestion of dropping the subframe to make more room. It was a big PITA to take out and put the tranny back in. Things are very tight and everything got banged up by the tranny. Also, the wedge collar (I think that's what it's called-that thing with the wavy spring) was knocked off while trying to get the tranny back on so we had to drop it back down again. We had it so close too! This has been another painful yet humorous learning experience for me. Hopefully this will be done and done properly by this weekend! So my advice it to drop the damn subframe and save yourself from insanity
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Lol the lowered subframe makes a night and day difference on difficulty.... Good luck on the rest of the job though!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:01 PM

AND you had a lift? Goodness, too bad about that axle, always remember to go slow so you don't break stuff since its ur first time... Good luck though!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by yerkonoku
AND you had a lift? Goodness, too bad about that axle, always remember to go slow so you don't break stuff since its ur first time... Good luck though!
Yea we tried everthing we could-tapping it out using wood to protect the threads, puller, lots of blaster....we ended up beating it out with a 12lbs sledge. Felt good taking out my anger on my Evo!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by yerkonoku
Yep a buddy of mine has a lift and a garage filled with every useful (and useless) tool. I cannot freakin believe people actually do this without using a lift!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:23 PM

A local guy did my clutch job on his garage floor. Clutch, braided clutch line, and all of the drivetrain fluids. He started around 8pm, sent me a text at midnight telling me my flywheel looked great still. Believe he finished the job around 2-3 in the morning. I couldn't believe it, 6-7 hours for all that.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
Tvo

I've done about 5-6 Evo clutch jobs doing my car and friends' cars on jackstands. After so many times and figuring out the angling and shortcuts, it becomes easier and easier. Still sucks thou but I can get it done within 8 hrs now lol.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tvo
I've done about 5-6 Evo clutch jobs doing my car and friends' cars on jackstands. After so many times and figuring out the angling and shortcuts, it becomes easier and easier. Still sucks thou but I can get it done within 8 hrs now lol.
8 hours was what I was aiming for. Paying a mechanic $____ was sounding nice around hour 12!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Had to do a clutch job recently on jack stands. Won't be doing that again. Took 8 hrs to get it all out and trans bolted back up.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I work on Porsches for a living and I hate doing my clutch. With all the shop amenities and some helping hand we managed it in a little under 6 hours. We loosened the subframe and used a ratchet strap to winch the engine forward to give the transmission clearance past the subframe. I'm doing the clutch again this month, but I will be replacing the front subframe, installing a front sway bar, and maybe the Perrin caster bushings...I'm not looking forward to it. :/
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did my first one a month ago. Yea dropping the sub-frame would have made my life so much easier. I had a problem getting the ball joint pinch bolts out. The nut would come off but the bolt was frozen in the hole and wouldn't budge.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Iv done 3 diffrent clutch jobs on my evo first one sucked took two days second one like 8hrs last on i did by myself completly in like 7hrs all were on stands on garage floor. Best tip go slow wene putting tranny back on because its such a ***** to align and make sure you lock in the tob before bolting up everything.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Beebo05
8 hours was what I was aiming for. Paying a mechanic $____ was sounding nice around hour 12!

Thus the reason I paid someone to do mine. Two guys had it done in 4 hours no BS! 400 bucks sounds like a damned good deal to me now.

Easiest clutch replacement I ever did and I'm not in the position you are in.

Hope you get yours back together without much more issues!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:24 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

Man, i know how you feel, did my first clutch job alone with my girlfriend last summer took us 15 hours too. But still, i'm glad to have done it. A feeling of achievement.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember the first time I did an Evo clutch. What a PITA.

Glad to see your almost done.

There is a shop around here that does them in 3 hours for $600.
When guy come to me for clutches I always mention that shop,LOL

Quick Reply: First clutch job! AARRGGHHH!!!