Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Problems installing MR Headlights!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems installing MR Headlights!!!

Hey evom memebers I have a 2006 evo 9 gsr non hid. I'm having problems installing my lights there not the jdm ones there the usdm mr headlights. Before installing my headlights i checked to see if the HID ballast are operating before installing them. I used my jump box i hooked up power and ground still nothing? Then i checked for power to the actual HID ballast connector(Gray 2 pin connector) I'm getting battery voltage but still nothing? Can anyone chime in or give me some advice on what I'm doing wrong? I also looked up on here on How To install a non hid to a hid. Please can anyone help a fellow evom memeber.

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:27 PM

36 views and no replies...common fellas help a evom member out!!!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How did you wire it since the GSR harness is totally different than the MR harness? Did you use a relay?

So out of the car with a 12 volt battery hooked directly too the headlights, to they come on at all?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 06:16 PM

I have the 8 pin connector from a MR engine harness that's already cut and spliced and connected to the headlight harness, but i just wanted to make sure that the HID turned on before cutting and splicing into my harness? Is there something that I'm doing wrong? Plus there isn't really a good step by step of how to convert to non hid to hid on here? After using my jump box I even used a car battery and it's still didn't want to turn on?.....
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
Why not just use an aftermarket ballast that can plug into your existing bulb?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You shouldn't be driving the HID's off the factory non HID wimpy wiring since the HID will take more amps to start the ballast. You may have faulty ballasts. Try swapping bulbs but its basically just two wires to get the bulbs started. Polarity DOES matter.

When I did mine, I was lucky enough to find some HID pigtails from a wrecked HID car. I used those and also added a relay with thicker wire since the stock non HID wire was a thinner gauge than the HID pig tail wire. Just need basic electrical skills to find which wire goes where.

Another thread here on that:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...id-w-fogs.html
I didn't do the same wiring with 2 relays but it will give you an idea.