Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

gasket between turbo and manifold needed?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
gasket between turbo and manifold needed?

I'm installing a BBK full with a toxicfab manifold, do I need a gasket between the turbo and the manifold? can I reuse the stock ones if there is one?

Thanks for your reply
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your going to replace them why not replace the gasket and save the hassle?? Just one less thing to worry about.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8dreamcar
If your going to replace them why not replace the gasket and save the hassle?? Just one less thing to worry about.
I'm not in the US, so I can't go to the dealer and get a new one, and I want to install the turbo ASAP
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been using my factory gaskets that came on my car and run many different manifolds and o2 housing with zero issues. If a manifold is built right, and truly decked flat, there is zero issues.

-Collin
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:09 PM

If you can, use a new set of gaskets. In general, gaskets undergo a certain amount of permanent plastic deformation upon the first use that isn't recovered. The 2nd time you use the gasket, you're operating on a stiffer portion of the load-deflection curve, which changes the resulting preload in the exhaust manifold capscrews on application of the original assembly torque. This, along with a few other reasons, is the reason new gaskets should be used.

(My background is structural and thermal analysis of manifolds, cylinder heads and blocks and their hot bolted joints for a major engine manufacturer.)
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMatcher
If you can, use a new set of gaskets. In general, gaskets undergo a certain amount of permanent plastic deformation upon the first use that isn't recovered. The 2nd time you use the gasket, you're operating on a stiffer portion of the load-deflection curve, which changes the resulting preload in the exhaust manifold capscrews on application of the original assembly torque. This, along with a few other reasons, is the reason new gaskets should be used.

(My background is structural and thermal analysis of manifolds, cylinder heads and blocks and their hot bolted joints for a major engine manufacturer.)
English motherf***ker, Do you speak it?

Anyways, I would agree. Install your turbo with a new gasket. I completely understand that uncontrollable urge to jump in on something and get it going but do it right the first time. I have had a bad experience with making "assumptions" about reusing parts. Changing out the gasket isn't fun or a quick and easy job. So you wouldn't want to do it again because the gasket went south

I hate to state the obvious to but make sure you torque those things down to spec. Those gaskets are thick but an exhaust leak will eat those things up.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:56 PM

^^^ Lol I agree. The gasket is fairly cheap and good insurance. I know if you have an 8 you usually have to buy the 9 upgrade kit for a turbo like that, and the kit should come w/ that gasket. And like he said make sure the torque is right, oddly enough the OEM Evo 8 and OEM Evo 9 turbo's have different torque specs for the exh. manifold to turbo nuts and bolts. I think the 9 requires about 10 more ft lbs, but the after market manufacturer usually supplies that info.

Last edited by MileHighX; Apr 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Reopening thread

I would like to know everyones opinion on this item? Would this fit the Evo 7? Is OEM better & why? http://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspeed...-turbo-gasket/
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTurboTurk
Reopening thread

I would like to know everyones opinion on this item? Would this fit the Evo 7? Is OEM better & why? http://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspeed...-turbo-gasket/
Anyone?