Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Exhaust manifold removal

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust manifold removal

I tried searching, the only thing that seems to come up are the same 2 videos. Boosted film evo 8 to evo 9 turbo swap, and the o2 map dump install. Though they are great videos, im not doing either of those mods and i dont want to do any extra unecessary steps.

Im planning to remove my stock ex mani to a ported stocker buschur mani.

I've removed the 4 turbo flange bolts, 9 of the mani to block bolts, dp to o2 housing bolts, and the banjo bolt.
Still cannot mange to remove my stock mani, where else am i going wrong?

Be kind, thanks in advance.

Last edited by mike_89; Apr 26, 2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

The only bolts you will need to remove are the ones bolting to mani to the head and the 4 holding it to the turbo. I'm betting you can't get it off because the turbo is solid in place. The easiest way to deal with it is take out ONLY the 2 bolts holding the downpipe to the turbo. This will give the turbo a little flex which allows you to finagle it get the mani off.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 09:49 PM

So should i be a little more aggressive when trying to pull the mani out? i consider myself to be a pretty fit and strong individual, but man this thing is tough trying to get out. The passenger side seems to give way no problem, just the right side feels stuck.
Any other tips and tricks?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah believe me I'm fit as well and it's a ***** and a half haha by disconnecting the 2 lower downpipe bolts it will allow it to shift. It's harder to take off then put back on. In my personal experiences I've used something long to leverage a little
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:03 PM

The dp to the o2 bolts are off, but not physically separated. Am i able to get away taking the mani off that way, or do i need to separate them.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

I would just take them off it isn't hard to put them back in
Old May 6, 2014, 01:11 AM

Anybody else want to put their 2cents?
I gave removing my header another shot when i had some down time, still unsuccessful. I think im having clearance issue with my radiator and o2 housing. Radiator removal necessary?
Old May 6, 2014, 01:19 AM

Doesn't hurt to try without the radiator it doesn't take long to take it off
Old May 6, 2014, 02:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
It can easily be done with the radiator in the car. I replaced my O2 housing with the radiator in. I took the manifold off to get better access to the O2 bolts. If you have a stock O2 housing you need to disconnect the bracket that's bolted to it and the block otherwise you won't be able to move the turbo enough to get the manifold out.
Old May 6, 2014, 08:13 PM

I have the megan o2 housing. I'll check to see if there's anything going to the block from the housing tonight.
Old May 6, 2014, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
The megan piece does not have an attachment for the bracket so you are good to go there. What is stopping you is the lines for the turbo. They have so flex to them but only so much. Between that and the two studs in the front on the hotside of the turbo you cannot get over those. You need to carefully pry downward or towards the front of the car which should give you enough room to slip it out. I think I got the flange attaching to the the head on the em out first and then lifted it up but I cant remember exactly.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 01:26 PM

Finally have time to try this again and still a fail. Sooo frustrating, i guess im not as mechanically incline as i thought, heck i dont even think u need to be to do this.
Im still having trouble with this removal. The passenger side seems to be completely off the studs from the head, but it's the turbo side thats still having clearance issue.

The wastegate line to the o2 housing seems to be having clearance issue with he radiator as well. I dont know guys, can someone help me out or give me hope. Im at a dead end, kicking myself knowing good and well this is a very simple task, though i cannot manage to complete it.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Take a breath then try again. It took two people prying on the turbo/manifold the first time I took it out. The turbo needs to be pushed down a bit to get the manifold out. Don't forget to check for leaks as my oil return was leaking after prying on the turbo so hard.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:23 PM

I was in your boat a few months back...I ended up having to take off the oil return line and other lines on the bottom to get it out. Def not a fun job. My oil return ended up with a pinhole in it as well, so double check that if you're gonna mess with it.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:06 AM

Ill give this another shot as soon as i have time. Im determined to get this ****ttttt done so i can enjoy driving this car to meets and whatnots while there are rare sunshine hear in the PNW.

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold removal