Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Monoloc collar to throw out bearing EVO 8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2024, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monoloc collar to throw out bearing EVO 8

Hi All,

I just changed my clutch to ACT everything was going well until I needed to seat/engauge the monoloc collar to the throw out bearing. The clutch fork is positioned toward the passenger side of the car and I can't seem to get the collar to fully seat into the throw out bearing. When looking through the maintenance hole in the transmission its maybe a 16th of an inch from fully locking onto the bearing. Is there a trick to this? The fork moves back and forth the collar is installed correctly in the pressure plate. I was careful to ensure that it didn't pop off or partially pop off. The bearing clutch fork springs and bushings are all new. I have tried to use brute force and it partially grabs but wont fully seat into the bearing.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to damage anything.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 11:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 411 Likes on 351 Posts
i struggled with that too, maybe 75% of of the time. what i have done that worked was to loop a long & strong ziptie on the fork and have my wife pull on it while i wedge the collar with a screw driver
Old Jun 27, 2024, 02:05 PM

So, what you're saying is, it's just brute force to get it to seat? I've been helping Puffin with the work, and both of us are having a really difficult time with it. Nothing looks off-center or anything. I think there's also a fear of breaking something if we pull too hard on the fork. We've already had to pull the transmission a second time because the collar went in crooked and a tooth bent (we replaced the monoloc collar).

Everything else has mated up nice... it's just this Monoloc collar that's stopping us from going further. :/

Old Jun 27, 2024, 02:09 PM
EvoM Guru

so to remove monoloc you have to pull the lever then unseat the monoloc with a screwdriver. to install its the same : pull lever and unseat the monoloc. its just harder
Old Jun 27, 2024, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
so to remove monoloc you have to pull the lever then unseat the monoloc with a screwdriver. to install its the same : pull lever and unseat the monoloc. its just harder
Fair enough. I know it shouldn't be rocket science, but this is also my first go at replacing a pull type clutch so I've never had to go that route before. Doing things twice always sucks so it was worth seeing what other people's experiences were like. I've seen some videos where the person engaging the lever does it with 2 fingers with hardly any force and it clicks into place. In other videos, they simply omit the procedure altogether.

If it stops raining outside, I'm guessing we'll give it another go tonight, but in the mean time if anybody has any other suggestions on how to gain a bit of leverage on that thing, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing we'll try the "1 person pulling the lever on top, 1 person pushing the lever through the hole on the bottom" method and see how it goes.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 02:27 PM
EvoM Guru

yup agreed. i put a handle on the big ziptie my wife was pulling on so she wont get hurt lol