Old Nov 9, 2004, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just placed my order
Old Nov 9, 2004, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

just reporting in after a bit of use with the WeaponR engine dampner.

while there are a few fitment issues with this product & i had my doubts on how it would work in theory after seeing it was more of a rubber mount than a fluid dampner. it suprised me & it definatly preforms as advertised & then some. overall im very happy with it & would reccomend it to others

Pros-----
it dampens engine movement, reduces harshness of clutch chatter. as well as making the clutch easier to modulate with small movements while the engine is loaded, making chatter less likely.

one of my favorite benifits of this dampner is the increased response in slow speed driving. the car feels much more direct with less of a "rubber band" feeling

when properly adjusted & set up there are NO more vibrations than stock transmitted to the cabin & the only noticable effect is the increased drivability

Cons-----

the Air Conditioning lines run dangerously close to the dampner mounts in two places. given there stiffness, any contact would most likely cause signifigant chaffing & would eventually lead to a hole bieng worn into in your A/C line costing you mucho buckos in repairs.

while its nothing major they must be moved slightly so as not to contact the dampner mounts.

i flipped the upper hose clamp upside down & moved the line outwards towards the fender about 3/4-1" this gave me about 1/4" clearance on the line by the upper mount & 1/8" for the lower mount which is probably enough, but i wanted a bit more, so i tweaked the lower mount that bolts to the engine counter clockwise about 5-7 deg & that gave me 1/4" clearance in both places
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

what are your guys torque levels who are feeling this great improvement,i understand that less rocking of the engine can put down a little more hp and create more smooth shifting but this product seems like something that is geared to heavy hp/torque people anyone stock w/ this notice a difference?not knocking the product its a great idea just seems like overkill for my current setup(300+)
Old Nov 9, 2004, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or you can just wrap your ac line with some tube and call it good. I moved the upper bracket over to the next notch, but that didnt give me crap for room. The line is resting on the engine mount bracket, but the only rubbing going on will be plastic on metal.

Oh - this thing doesnt work with stock strut tower bar and JIC Magic coilovers. The studs on the JICs are too short. I had to buy a new strut tower bar just to put this frigin thing on.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what strut tower bar did you use?
Old Nov 11, 2004, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cusco carbon
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Just got and installed mine and I love it. Much smoother shifting underload. Easy install with only minor fitment issues with the A/C/ line. Well worth the time and money!
Old Nov 12, 2004, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerOZ
I really hope they make this for the lancer. we need it bad. It's bad enough trying to launch with fwd... massive engine movement on the stock engine mounts makes it even worse.

Mods under $150 are huge sellers in the lancer community, as most lancer drivers don't have tons of cash to throw around. If weapon R doesn't make it for the lancer, they really should start.

- Jason
If I'm not mistaken, these dampers are generic. Whats making it specific to the evo is probaly the bracket.

A friend put a few of these on his drag beetle, and they are pretty universal. You just have to fabricate brackets for them.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOFREAK
Just got and installed mine and I love it. Much smoother shifting underload. Easy install with only minor fitment issues with the A/C/ line. Well worth the time and money!
Old Nov 16, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Nov 17, 2004, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
i wish the dampeners acted as a cushion, not a brace.... if the engine doesnt rock and absorb some energy, where is the energy going to go?
Yup, good point.

It's got two stiff rubber bushings inside and a plastic bushing. There are no springs inside. (They give you a curley que plastic wrap to avoid the chaffing on your AC line). I think the point is the energy will transfer to the driveline.

I'm concerned for two reasons.

1) Instead of the engine rocking on it's transverse axis, it rocks only on the left side torquing the engine on it's left side (from the vantage point of the driver seat). Will this create a side effect with the driveline or engine internals? It seems to me both sides should have the dampner to be safe

2) Cabin engine and driveline noise is doubled. It's similar to the effect of putting a cup to a wall to listen for sound. You can even hear the valves ticking at idel. Kind of cool for a while, but on a long trip the noise would get to me.

I may test it at the track for 60' times. It's easy to disconnect and reconnect.

If clutch chatter is an issue, this might be a good tool to control it. The off axis torquing/twisting of the engine concerns me.

Remember the Eclipse crank walk? I'd love to see what someone like David Buscher would have to say about this product, because the engine wasn't designed to move like this and if it pulled on the internals, who knows what might result. Can someone with a lot experience with this engine and dampners chime in?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the block is weak enough to move because you put some torque on one end.... what I mean is, you have the shaft torqueing the drive end.

doesn't the power exiting the block torque it quite a bit? I would think that energy would be better than what the dampner can surpress. (given the other mounting points effects)
Old Nov 19, 2004, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Am I the only one who cannot make this thing to fit ? It won't go on top of the plate on the strut side because of the stock strut tower brace and it can't be made to fit under the plate because my hard AC line is way up high.

If I have an aftermarket strut tower brace it can be made to fit on top of the plate but I don't wanna spend additional $$$$.

Maybe I'm missing something ??? Anyone...

Can I return this ?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Try moving the hard AC line clamp to the adjacent hole. I have the stock tower bar and got it to fit just fine.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eazyevo
Try moving the hard AC line clamp to the adjacent hole. I have the stock tower bar and got it to fit just fine.
Well, moved the AC line down got enough space up top but now the setup is just way too long. Everything got adjusted to the max but this thing just will not fit in my car.

Anybody want to take it off my hand ?
$100 shipped

Last edited by 600+hp; Nov 21, 2004 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Dampner for your EVO 8