Notices

Tilton Introductory Super Sale

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2005, 05:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack @ EvoStore
The carbons come with a replacement pressure plate to compensate for disc wear. Basically, you get a free rebuild kit with the purchase of a carbon.
Nice, I did not know this. Leave it to Jack to explain all the technical data.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack @ EvoStore
Just going back here to flush out some details. The clutch rebuilds are typically going to cost in the $200 - $400 price, plus shipping. The exception is the Carbon-Carbon which comes with a replacement pressure plate with the initial purchase. Basically, you get a "rebuild kit" free with the CFA. After that, it goes back to Tilton for machining and you start over with the initial pressure plate.

So, for the purchase price plus approximately $200, you get 4 "uses" out of the carbon-carbon. This really does make the clutch an incredible value. It's funny to say about a clutch that costs $3500+, but it's true.

Here is a short list of the advantages of the Tilton in plain English:
  • 7.25" clutch assembly = low inertia for improved shifting and synchro wear.
  • Light weight - the carbon clutch itself weighs in at 6.35 pounds on our scale (the flywheel was 10.90). Again - lighter total weight and more centrally located versus the "full size" clutch assemblies.
  • Hydraulic release bearing; self-adjusting for wear AND it gets rid of the crappy OEM-style release clip.
  • True carbon-on-carbon. This will present the most consistent shifting as the clutch wears. Carbon-on-carbon remains more true than the carbon-on-metal clutches in which the metal tends to warp.
  • The carbons come with a replacement pressure plate to compensate for disc wear. Basically, you get a free rebuild kit with the purchase of a carbon.

Expect the prices on this stuff to go up at the beginning of next year.

[Edit: Grammar and wording to make some things more clear.]

What about the hybrid one? I only have enough for that one. If I buy the Carbon one I will not have enough for my cams and stand alone. I would like the carbon one. My friends run them in their MR2 turbo. Is the hybrid good enough or should I just bite the bullet and buy the carbon?
Old Nov 18, 2005, 07:22 AM
Account Disabled

The only one that offers the rebuild in a box type deal is the carbon. However rebuilding a hybrid or cerametallic runs between $200-$400.

As far as which clutch it depends the power you are making and the type of racing you are doing. Send me a PM or give us a call for further information.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:49 AM
Account Disabled

The hybrid and full cerametallic will be outstanding clutches for people falling in the appropriate power ranges. The carbon will have smoother engagement, more holding power, will be more consistent as there is no metal to warp, will be lighter with less inertia (as the clutch assembly weighs a little less than the others), and will hold up to slipping much better. The only negative to the carbon is the cost - but it is a relative steal. DSM carbons are $4000+ when you can find them. Supra carbons are $4600+.

Like I said, the cost on all of these clutches will probably be going up at the beginning of the year.

It is my (obviously biased) opinion that the Tiltons will be the best twins out there, with the carbon-carbon being the best of the best. It's like comparing a Ferrari 360 and a Ferrari Challenge Stradale. They are both awesome, one is just a bit more awesome.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Damn I wish this was out when I bought my RPS. Alot more clutch for only $600 more. Oh well. Bump for a nice clutch.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had a hybrid installed for a local whose main focus is autocrossing and he likes it. After the install I felt the clutch pedal and engagement. Wow, there is nothing like the hydraulic release bearing. Clutch effort is very smooth and direct. The kit includes the ss braided line all the way to the master cylinder so forget about needing a clutch line and restrictor removal. It is all part of the package. Plus a lb or two is lost with the removal of the slave cylinder (no longer needed).

If you look at the dyno charts of most big turboed Evo's the WHP far overshadows the torque.

717whp/ 610tq

Technically, according to the tq capacities chart, the Tilton twin cerametallic should be able to handle this at it's limits.

One would assume the Tilton hybrid combo could take 600-650whp. Only time will tell for sure, but given tilton's track record. I will assume we will see good results with these.

The benefits of the carbon/carbon would be the quicker revs associated with a lighter rotating mass as well as the long term durability and resistance to heat and wear on the carbon surfaces. It is my assumption that the "no-lift-to-shift" style drag racing technique would be best suited to this clutch. We've all heard the stories of the shifting "lock-out" of other 32lbs+ clutches. Lastly is always the fact that you have the baddest *** clutch anywhere for those that demand the very best.

I am confident that anything this little 4 banger can put out, this carbon could handle.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

any know if this is better or worse then the RPS Carbon/Carbon? just curious they both seem very nice!
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

You wouldn't happen to have a layaway plan for the carbon-carbon, would you? I have the money now, but if my wife found out I bought a $3K clutch I'd have the world record for the quickest divorce.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:58 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MrBubbler
any know if this is better or worse then the RPS Carbon/Carbon? just curious they both seem very nice!
The Tilton carbon will have several advantages over the RPS: lighter (almost half the weight at ~16lbs vs ~32lbs), lower inertia (7.25" clutch assembly), and the hydraulic release bearing (this is huge for the Evo) are the primary three. The RPS is still a quality clutch and we've sold several with success - but it's no Tilton.

As for layaway, we do accept non-refundable deposits.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 05:00 PM

I am not sure if anyone is aware, but the Tilton cerametallic and hybrid clutches are available with higher rate springs for more torque capacity. All Tilton 7.25" clutches are available with six different springs rates, Tilton chose the a spring rate the fit most user "as standard" Torque capacity ranges for each clutch platform is as follows:

Carbon/Carbon: 740 - 970 lb ft
Cerametallic: 360 - 970 lb-ft
Hybrid: 300 - 700 lb -ft

Even though any of the clutches will hold a lot of torque, carbon is still the best due to is great combination of low weight/inertia, extremely high heat capacity, smooth engagement and low cost-per-mile.

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We had a hybrid installed for a local whose main focus is autocrossing and he likes it. After the install I felt the clutch pedal and engagement. Wow, there is nothing like the hydraulic release bearing. Clutch effort is very smooth and direct. The kit includes the ss braided line all the way to the master cylinder so forget about needing a clutch line and restrictor removal. It is all part of the package. Plus a lb or two is lost with the removal of the slave cylinder (no longer needed).

If you look at the dyno charts of most big turboed Evo's the WHP far overshadows the torque.

717whp/ 610tq

Technically, according to the tq capacities chart, the Tilton twin cerametallic should be able to handle this at it's limits.

One would assume the Tilton hybrid combo could take 600-650whp. Only time will tell for sure, but given tilton's track record. I will assume we will see good results with these.

The benefits of the carbon/carbon would be the quicker revs associated with a lighter rotating mass as well as the long term durability and resistance to heat and wear on the carbon surfaces. It is my assumption that the "no-lift-to-shift" style drag racing technique would be best suited to this clutch. We've all heard the stories of the shifting "lock-out" of other 32lbs+ clutches. Lastly is always the fact that you have the baddest *** clutch anywhere for those that demand the very best.

I am confident that anything this little 4 banger can put out, this carbon could handle.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 06:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 03EVO583
I am not sure if anyone is aware, but the Tilton cerametallic and hybrid clutches are available with higher rate springs for more torque capacity. All Tilton 7.25" clutches are available with six different springs rates, Tilton chose the a spring rate the fit most user "as standard" Torque capacity ranges for each clutch platform is as follows:

Carbon/Carbon: 740 - 970 lb ft
Cerametallic: 360 - 970 lb-ft
Hybrid: 300 - 700 lb -ft

Even though any of the clutches will hold a lot of torque, carbon is still the best due to is great combination of low weight/inertia, extremely high heat capacity, smooth engagement and low cost-per-mile.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 09:21 AM

bump....
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:41 AM
Account Disabled

For those that are skimming the end of this thread, please note the edit to the first post:

"There will be a price increase on these December 1st and then again in January 1st. Get your orders in now."
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

glad i got my order in...
Old Nov 25, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

What is the weight difference between the ATS Carbon clutches and the Tilton Carbon clutch?

Quick Reply: Tilton Introductory Super Sale