Notices
Evo 'For Sale' Miscellaneous Includes model cars, apparel, decals, and other miscellaneous items.

Auto Enginuity Scan Tools

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE - AutoEnginuity now supports CAN. Most of the newer 2004 vehicles now use CAN instead of OBDII. Please see the option below.

ScanTool PC-based

What AutoEnginuity's ScanTool can do:

Read Stored and Pending Diagnostic Trouble Codes (including Manufacturer Enhanced codes)

Read and clear Freeze Frame data

Clear the Check Engine or Service Engine Soon indicator

View live vehicle sensors in a grid, graph, and gauge format

View oxygen sensor live data and test results

View all 11 Inspection/Maintenance system test results

Unlimited logging of Diagnostic Trouble Codes and live vehicle sensors

English or Metric (SI) units of measure supported

Run and query specific component and system tests

View generic and manufacturer enhanced data on the same tool

Configure the interface to suit your preferences

Supports:
1996 and newer passenger vehicles whether it be domestic, Asian, or European.
SAE interfaces: J1850 (PWM and VPM) and ISO-9141-2

Requirements

Windows 95 / 98 / ME / NT / 2000 / XP operating system, 2 Mb of free drive space, CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, 32 Mb of memory.

The ScanTool package consists of:

AutoEnginuity's software

AutoEnginuity's OBD-II vehicle interface

Serial interface cable

Protective case

User Guide

Speed Tracer Stage I -- Free to all ScanTool purchasers!

SpeedTracer is a performance analysis software for your PC or PDA. Are you curious if that new part worked? Is your vehicle performing to its fullest capabilities? With SpeedTracer, we can help you answer those questions. Save hundreds of dollars running dynos on your vehicles. What's more, you can run the performance analysis at YOUR convenience--not regular shop hours.

What it can do:

0-60ft time
0-60 MPH
1/8 mile time
1/8 mile speed
1/4 mile time
1/4 mile speed
Top Speed
SAE Horsepower
Torque
SAE Horsepower and Torque vs RPM graphing
Speed vs Time graphing

SpeedTracer doesn't use accelerometers, so road conditions will not affect your results. It uses the "rolling" chassis dynamometer method to measure your vehicle's horsepower and torque. You won't be required to start your dynamometer testing from a complete stand-still. Now you can perform your analysis in the gear that is best for your vehicle--not the testing equipment.

How accurate is the "rolling" chassis dynamometer method? Of the two methods (crankshaft or chassis) the "rolling" chassis method produces the most usable results. This method will show you what the actual horsepower and torque are at the driven wheels; after the frictional losses from the clutch/torque converter, the driveshaft, half-shafts, the differential, air resistance, and drag. We have tested and proven our methods accuracy through several tests against very expensive roller-based dynamometer equipment.

What sets our performance analysis software apart is that the results are corrected for environmental variables using the SAE J1349 standard and built in vehicle profiles.

Using the current environmental variables (humidity, elevation, and temperature) we can correct the results to insure the most accurate and consistent results. Correcting for environmental variables is not enough in the case of force induction vehicles. The SAE formulas are made for normally aspirated vehicles. We go one step further and correct for forced induction as well. Without these corrections your torque and horsepower readings would be inaccurate from day to day and region to region.

SpeedTracer makes inputting your vehicle profile easy because it has most vehicle profiles built in. If your vehicle's profile is listed, simply select it and begin your performance analysis. In case you have special modifications to your vehicle, you can change your vehicle profile to take those into account too. You can also create and modify vehicle profiles to suit your needs.

How does it work: 1) set the environmental variables so the proper corrections can be made; 2) select your vehicle profile; and, 3) run your vehicle to its full potential and see your results. It's that easy.

Choose ECU Type:
OBDII
CAN (+$60)

$219.99 plus shipping

Available for PC, Palm Pocket, Or Pocket PC

Questions? Orders? PM me or call me at 1.866.44.vivid ext 226.

Jacky
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a limit of cars you can connect to? For example Delta dash would allow 3 different ecu types to be licenced after that no new ones could be added but you can scan those 3 ecu types unlimited amount of times?

You can log ignition timing correct?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the tool and have used it on my Evo and a number of other cars including GM. There is no limit that I found. Yes you can log timing.

Last edited by freedom; Nov 2, 2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 09:41 AM

SpeedTracer

There was an issue with their SpeedTracer program, specifically the Rolling Chassis program didn't work well with an AWD vehicle (EVO or STI). Has this been resolved or has anyone use the Auto Enginutiy and can say it works?

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2004, 01:22 PM

Does the newest version do the CAN protocol? I bought one about a year ago for my 04 WRX(since traded) and it was not set up to handle the transfer rate.

mike
Old Nov 7, 2004, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by freedom
I have the tool and have used it on my Evo and a number of other cars including GM. There is no limit that I found. Yes you can log timing.
Awsome, Is it real time and can you save the data and graph it???

Sounds like a great tool for tuning.

Thanks
Eric
Old Nov 7, 2004, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yes and yes, but realize that OBD II has limitations on the sample rate or perhaps 5 sampes per second for one or two parameters. Note that this is not an Evo thing, but a function of the protocol.

To my knowledge SpeedTracer still doesn't compute anything like the correct WHP. That said it might be useful to compare different tunes on the same car if one just ignores the absolute WHP results.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not familiar with CAN, only OBDII. What is the difference? and which one should I order for my 2005 Evo MR?
Old Nov 17, 2004, 02:52 PM

I believe if you order it now, you automatically get the CAN adapter, which is the same as the OBD2 connector, but allows a faster transfer rate. I would have to send them my connector to have it retrofitted for an extra amount of money.

mike
Old Sep 18, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have or can you get special tools?

WTB timing belt tension tool SPX/OTC # MD998738
Old Sep 18, 2005, 08:07 AM

I have the software for my palm and it worked well for the month that it did work. I cannot connect to any vehicle now. I am working with AE to get this resolved. It is a great product and I would reccommend it highly. I am not being sarcastic - It really does what it claims to do. I do not have any experience with the speed tracer program yet so I cannot comment on it.
Old May 2, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo spooling
I have the software for my palm and it worked well for the month that it did work. I cannot connect to any vehicle now. I am working with AE to get this resolved. It is a great product and I would reccommend it highly. I am not being sarcastic - It really does what it claims to do. I do not have any experience with the speed tracer program yet so I cannot comment on it.
I know this is an old thread, but I am interested in the hardware/software for my Garmin ique 3600. What issues did you have with the software? Where they resolved?
Old May 3, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MIevo8MR
I'm not familiar with CAN, only OBDII. What is the difference? and which one should I order for my 2005 Evo MR?

CAN is Controller Area Network. All the systems of the car are linked in a much better way, so it need to be fast, its still OBD II but much faster. along the lines of fiber optics.