Notices
Evo 'For Sale' Suspension / Brakes / Handling Includes pads, rotors, springs, shocks, swaybars, and other handling related components.

New Product! Performance Friction 2pc Floating Rotors and more brake pads combos!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we get a weight comparison between these, and the stock front rotors? thanks
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Floating rotors will certainly make noise: they rattle. The better brands use anti-rattle hardware to minimize the problem, but it's hard to eliminate altogether. A good compromise for street use is a 2-piece non-floating rotor.

Emre
Cal,

Can you comment on this? I've never dealt with 2-piece rotors before
Old Mar 18, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alex_alex
Can you comment on this? I've never dealt with 2-piece rotors before
There are 2 kinds of 2-piece rotors: floating and fixed.

Floating rotors are great for hardcore track use when you're going to put tons and tons of heat into them. The rotors can expand and contract on the hats so they last a little longer before cracking. The downside is that they will rattle in day-to-day driving (even with anti-rattle shims).

Fixed rotors are basically the same, but the rotors don't move against the hubs...so there's no chatter on the street. You get the major advantages (less weight, less heat transfer to hubs/wheel bearings, low replacement cost) without the major compromise.

Basically, floating rotors are a race-only part. You will never appreciate any advantages on the street compared to a fixed 2-piece rotor, but you'll have lots of noise. There's really no reason to get floating rotors unless you're tracking the car very hard.

Emre
Old Mar 18, 2005, 05:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
There are 2 kinds of 2-piece rotors: floating and fixed.

Floating rotors are great for hardcore track use when you're going to put tons and tons of heat into them. The rotors can expand and contract on the hats so they last a little longer before cracking. The downside is that they will rattle in day-to-day driving (even with anti-rattle shims).

Fixed rotors are basically the same, but the rotors don't move against the hubs...so there's no chatter on the street. You get the major advantages (less weight, less heat transfer to hubs/wheel bearings, low replacement cost) without the major compromise.

Basically, floating rotors are a race-only part. You will never appreciate any advantages on the street compared to a fixed 2-piece rotor, but you'll have lots of noise. There's really no reason to get floating rotors unless you're tracking the car very hard.

Emre
I never had any noise from my floating 2-peice stoptech rotors. It depends on the design of the system.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bump, still available!! If you guys are interested, please don't hesitate to speak out! I am actually looking for a guy who is willing to try these newly designed rotors and do a before-after product review for this forum. Please give me a pm or a call for pricing. Only 1 set available!!

Thank you!

Cal
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:51 PM
EvoM Guru

I put a set of these on my car today. Look for a full write up with photos soon. I'll also be testing these on the 30th at the track.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JTB
How much are replacement rotors -- ie no hats?
Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
Please give me a pm or a call for pricing.
Cal, I'd also like to know how much replacement rotors cost. And how quickly can you get replacements (i.e., in stock, or 6-8 weeks for delivery)?

I might be interested if the replacement rotors are cheap and easy to find.

Emre

Last edited by Kayaalp; Mar 20, 2005 at 05:38 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

I will find out for you guys.. please wait for my response!

Thanks

Cal
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

sold!!!!!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor

plenty more are ready to go! Please give me a call to order! These rotors are BADASS!!! $550 for a pair! FREE SHIPPING!
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:07 AM

Could you please tell us what the cost is for just the rotor alone? Tracking the car I go through rotors quite fast, and the replacement cost is more important than the initial cost of the whole setup.

thank you.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pedalpusher
Could you please tell us what the cost is for just the rotor alone? Tracking the car I go through rotors quite fast, and the replacement cost is more important than the initial cost of the whole setup.
We're all still waiting for the info. So far, no one selling 2-piece rotors has been able to tell us anything about replacement rotors. If we can't even get the info on price + approx. shipping time...then what's the point of 2-piece rotors?

Anyway, this is why I went ahead and just comissioned a race supplier to design me a set of custom 2-piece rotors. My supplier will make up a batch of rotors to order. They can be machined and shipped within the same week.

Emre
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

We're all still waiting for the info. So far, no one selling 2-piece rotors has been able to tell us anything about replacement rotors. If we can't even get the info on price + approx. shipping time...then what's the point of 2-piece rotors?

Anyway, this is why I went ahead and just comissioned a race supplier to design me a set of custom 2-piece rotors. My supplier will make up a batch of rotors to order. They can be machined and shipped within the same week.

Emre
Yikes, and how much is that costing you?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

I am still waiting on the pricing for the replacement rotors. Stay tuned

Thanks

Cal
Old Apr 15, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Yikes, and how much is that costing you?
Not as much as you'd think. The total cost for the custom aluminum hats, annodizing, mounting hardware, and custom rotors comes out to about $525 for the pair (I'm not counting the development costs). Replacement rotors will run about $200 per pair. I can get replacements (plain, slotted, or drilled) within a few days of placing an order.

To make swapping rotors at trackside easy, I've decided to go with fixed 2-piece rotors rather than floating. Since there is no need for shims or any other anti-rattle hardware, I can pop the rotors on and off the aluminum hats in a few minutes...all you need is a torque wrench.

Emre

Last edited by Kayaalp; Apr 15, 2005 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: New Product! Performance Friction 2pc Floating Rotors and more brake pads combos!!!