Notices
Evo 'For Sale' Suspension / Brakes / Handling Includes pads, rotors, springs, shocks, swaybars, and other handling related components.

Girodisc "Magic Brake Pads" are here!

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any more deals? My Ferrodo 2500's are driving me crazy
Let me know

Jeller
Old May 5, 2008, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try the shims

Hey Jeller,

Why don't you try our pad shims. They are only 15 dollars per axle set and would probably do the trick in quieting down those 2500's. The Ferodo pads are excellent, dusty, but great stopping power. Do they still have a lot of life in them? If so, get the shims and I'll help you with some other tricks to get them quieted down. If they are almost dead anyways, I'll get you some Magic Pads, then your noise problems are over.

Either way, we can help.

Cheers,

Martin
Old May 7, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Girodisc Martin
Hey Jeller,

Why don't you try our pad shims. They are only 15 dollars per axle set and would probably do the trick in quieting down those 2500's. The Ferodo pads are excellent, dusty, but great stopping power. Do they still have a lot of life in them? If so, get the shims and I'll help you with some other tricks to get them quieted down. If they are almost dead anyways, I'll get you some Magic Pads, then your noise problems are over.

Either way, we can help.

Cheers,

Martin
I have the stock fiber pad shims in there now and I have tried every possible combo of with shims/and without and copper anitsieze BS I could think of. Pads have alot of life on them, I will use them for track. Call you later this week, I need to get some rotors too while I am at it.

Thanks for the reply. Will call you later this week.

Jeller
Old May 9, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

i need some shims my hawk hps's are noisy please 76108 , need for the front only
Old May 12, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Any reviews?
Old May 12, 2008, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

PM sent.

Originally Posted by red evo8
i need some shims my hawk hps's are noisy please 76108 , need for the front only
Old May 12, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Do you recommend these pads over the Ferodo's? I was going to get them until I saw these...and I need pads really bad!

I don't autocross, but if I ever decided I wanted to go out once or twice, will I still be able to with your pads? And I'm definitely on a budget, that's why I have been putting off getting the Ferodo's for a while now. Basically, will they be as good or better than the stockers? I will be happy if they can be.

Thanks for your help!
Old May 12, 2008, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested, I have the "hawk squeal" going on and gotta get this fixed. any more reviews????
Old May 13, 2008, 09:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well, having put over 2000 miles on them, I can say that I've definitely found my new street pad.

I've run Hawk HPS before, when I do not have my track pads in, and was happy with them. The only couple things I didn't like, were the price, and the occasional infamous "hawk hps squeal".

After running these pads all the way down to TN from WI, they held up great, had very little dust, and no noise at all, even when used with my 2pc DBA slotted rotors.

Taking them through the Tail of the Dragon FOUR TIMES (which if anyone doesn't know, is the most twisty, turny, and elevation changing stretch of road in the country), they performed GREAT with NO brake fade or any change in feel. A standard car's brakes will start to fade if driven hard through the dragon. (trust me, I know!) And I was driving it pretty hard!

I would say that the ONLY slight issue that I had was that the pad has a tendency to want to "give up" if you stomp on them at very high speeds, but then quickly comes back. The only way to describe it is that the initial bite almost seems stronger than when they finally start heating up, and then they come back as they get hotter. I made a graph:

As you can see, the initial bite seems to go away as the pads quickly come up to temps. I've found that there is a simple solution for this though, don't stand on them at high speeds! If you gently apply them at higher speeds, this problem does not exist.

And after all the driving, and dragon runs, the pads still look like they have full material left on them, as how I haven't noticed any reduction in size.

Overall, I'm very happy and with a price that Girodisc can offer these at, you can't go wrong for a great street pad!

Last edited by Fireball; May 13, 2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old May 13, 2008, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the review!

I was wondering when someone was going to review these pads....

Seems they work as advertised, low dust, no noise, great initial bite, as promised. As far as the high speed issue, we never claimed them to be DS2500's or Axxis Ultimates Gotta trade something somewhere. The real key to these pads is they just don't make noise. When all else fails, put these in. Plus they don't suck for spirited+ driving either.

I will note that I've seen similar things happen with air in the lines or old hoses (neither of which you probably have). Always a good idea to give an occasional flush of the system with Motul RBF600. Ensures no air and full specs on the fluid.

Still looking for a couple more reviews as we sent out quite a few boxes so speak up you guys!
Old May 13, 2008, 12:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Girodisc Martin
I will note that I've seen similar things happen with air in the lines or old hoses (neither of which you probably have). Always a good idea to give an occasional flush of the system with Motul RBF600. Ensures no air and full specs on the fluid.

Yep, I fully understand that they are not my race brakes, and that's why I'm totally ok with the high speed stomp characteristic.

And I just flushed fresh Motul RBF600 through the system before I went on my trip.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Too bad I don't need pads right now... I'd have loved to have reviewed these... esp since these target my "bang for the buck", daily driver, customer base.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Magic Brake Pads Review...

First and foremose, i'd like to thank Martin for the great customer service and professionalism. He was very informative, courteous and helpful, and for that i plan to use his service/products again.

Time for the review....

Well, it's been about 2 weeks since i've had these pads and i can pretty much sum up my experience in one word....Perfect. I bought these pads fully aware that they were a street pad. I don't particpate in HPDE's or Autox's every month, so i didn't see the need to get a ultra performance race pad. But what i wanted was a streetable pad with low dust, low noise, cost-effective and without loosing performance to the stock brembo pads. These pads were perfect for my situation. Infact, i'd have to say that they are better than the brembo's in terms of feel and initial bite. But most importantly, they were cost effective. At the special rate that i recieved from Martin, these are bar-non the best bang for buck. Even at the regular rate, they are still a bargain compared to the brembo's.

Did i mention that these pads dust less and make practically no noise at all? That's the beauty of these brake pads. They perform like stock but, without the compromises and the high cost. For me these pads were exactly what i was looking for. Some of you guys might criticize me because im not using the EVO for what it was designed to do, but that doesn't mean i can't enjoy the car non-the-less. The only part that i cannot review about these brakes is the life, simply because i have not had them for that long. But rest assured that every other aspect of the pad has performed as advertised so i do not doubt that they will last longer than the stock brembos.

These pads will be the ONLY pads that i will put on my EVO on the street. Girodisc and Martin have a customer for life.

Once again, thanks to Martin at Girodisc for the great service and great product.

-Dan

Last edited by boostedawd; May 15, 2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Nice to hear a review, I am really starting to consider getting these pads. Boostedawd, when you say "low noise", what do you mean? I've got HPS Ceramics and I sound like a School bus when I am about to come to a stop.
Thanks again for the review!
Old May 16, 2008, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spish
^^ Nice to hear a review, I am really starting to consider getting these pads. Boostedawd, when you say "low noise", what do you mean? I've got HPS Ceramics and I sound like a School bus when I am about to come to a stop.
Thanks again for the review!
Low noise means no noise. Sorry, i should probably clarify that.

Quick Reply: Girodisc "Magic Brake Pads" are here!