Notices
Evo 'For Sale' Suspension / Brakes / Handling Includes pads, rotors, springs, shocks, swaybars, and other handling related components.

Giro disc lightweight race rotors-group purchase

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
im such a moron. hhahahah
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, I think I can manage to sell just front sets or just rear sets. I hope we get some guys interested Dan, I know you want these pretty bad.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Yes, I think I can manage to sell just front sets or just rear sets. I hope we get some guys interested Dan, I know you want these pretty bad.
yes sir i do want these real bad. i am trying really hard to get people on these as well as there are many many benefits to using these rotors.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

4 more people. group buy. fronts, rears, or a pare.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much for just the fronts?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

$850 for the fronts.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

hi,

i understand there are a lot of benefits to lighter rotors, but can you help me understand why this would result in more whp on the dyno?

sorry, i think i need to be schooled,..... but i would think theoretically the dyno measures the power and force output of a car after drivetrain losses. lowering the weight of rotors would lower the mass of rotating parts, and thus inertia. however, i do not see how that would result in any power or force difference.

imagine a really heavy wrench and a very light wrench. is it any harder to torque down a bolt with the heavier wrench? no, right?

as for changing power output... does lowering the weight of rotors result in less heat/entropy change? does it increase efficiency in any way? maybe marginally less friction between the rotors and whatever bearings are holding up the thing.... but...

sorry, i don't get the concept.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

It's not hard to figure out. The HP is a calculation based on the time it takes to accelerate a known weight, the dyno rollers. The lighter the components are on the car the quicker the car can accelerate, pretty simple.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by St1g
hi,

i understand there are a lot of benefits to lighter rotors, but can you help me understand why this would result in more whp on the dyno?

sorry, i think i need to be schooled,..... but i would think theoretically the dyno measures the power and force output of a car after drivetrain losses. lowering the weight of rotors would lower the mass of rotating parts . . .
Think about it like this - put a hand crank on a bicycle wheel and spin the wheel around. Put the same hand crank (same length) on a wheel off of BigFoot and try to crank it around. Which one requires more torque (muscle power) to get it moving?

The drivetrain losses you are talking about are partly friction - and partly the resistance of all that weight you are trying to spin (crank, clutch, flywheel, gears, driveshaft, axles wheels, tires) . . .
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like we may have 2 sets spoken for so far.

If it is an absolute make or break on this group buy to get it to go through - I will buy one more set if I have to. I feel like this is my baby since I helped talk Girodisc into developing these. There was TONS of interests last fall - don't know where it all went. But regardless - Girodisc has been good to me, so I will help ya'alls out and help push this through even though I already have a set. I am SO sure of these and want to get them onto other peoples cars that I will pony up the cash to get the group buy to go through. . . .

Worst case scenario - I hold on to them for 4 years until my current set runs out - then I'll have a backup! Best case scenario - I will have 2 of only 7 sets in existence and can sell them at the Barrett Jackson auctions in 50 years for $50,000!

If we can get one more person - maybe David will place the order with Girodisc with only 4 preorders?? I am sure someone will eventually come along and pick up that last one. . . ?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Giro has one set sold and we have two complete sets sold.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

So that's 3 sets. I will put up the $$ for the 4th set. If you would be willing to put up the $$ for the 5th set David, we can get them into production and into the hands of EvoDan and those who really need and want them. Worst case scenario it takes you a couple months to sell that last set. . . but with a few more folks getting their hands on them - I think it will drive demand as we get more write ups and feedback than just you and I. . . what do you think?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:19 AM

What the heck, I will go ahead and order the fronts as well. I ordered the rears off of the Buschur website. I will just sell my other 2 piece fronts to help pay for the Giro ultra light fronts. ;-)
Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:28 AM

Also, I have another local who wants a full set, I think he is just trying to get the fundage together to make the purchase. I can pretty much guarantee the frenzy will begin once we install the rotors and post pics and start posting our results! ;-) Now if I could just get the local AWD dyno guys to call me back so I can get a pre-rotor dyno.

Quick Reply: Giro disc lightweight race rotors-group purchase