Notices
Evo 'For Sale' Suspension / Brakes / Handling Includes pads, rotors, springs, shocks, swaybars, and other handling related components.

OHLINS are back and better than ever! AST 4100's, JRZ, Whiteline, and GTWORX Springs!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
tops
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:09 PM
Former Sponsor

bump! check that ohlins price.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have pictures of your camber/caster adjustable plates?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

We've decided to just stick with Vorshlag plates and not make our own. They're pretty damn good. Add some caster, low stack height, integreated upper spring perch that can rotate with the spring, etc.

- Andrew
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

The caster is not adjustable? its just built in eh? How many degrees of caster does it change?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats the difference between these new Ohlins and say last years DFV's? Are their internal differences that would warrant an upgrade? What has changed in build quality? Mine have been rock solid but I am curious about these new changes. Good damn price as well for DFV's

Last edited by dbsears; Jul 13, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
The caster is not adjustable? its just built in eh? How many degrees of caster does it change?
I think it's around .5 to .75 degrees more caster.

- Andrew
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbsears
Whats the difference between these new Ohlins and say last years DFV's? Are their internal differences that would warrant an upgrade? What has changed in build quality? Mine have been rock solid but I am curious about these new changes. Good damn price as well for DFV's
The finish is different than the old style, and I would say more durable and weather resistant. Valving is slightly improved for both reboud and compression....a little more compliant without sacrificing handling.

None of these were big issues before, they just took an already very good coilover and made it a little better.

I would not upgrade from your set honestly....when the time comes to rebuild you would have them freshened to the latest specs.

- Andrew
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the AST coilovers come with camber plates? How do the AST compare to the ohlins?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

AST do not come with camber plates. You can reuse stock tops or do Vorshlag plates, which are the best out there. They add 429 for the front. Reuse stock rears.

AST vs. Ohlins is very tough. Both are montoubes with excellent valving. On paper the Ohlins have the advantage of dual height adjustability, inverted front struts, and they come with camber plates. They are a little more expensive. Both AST have excellent valving and support stateside. What's your intended usage?

- Andrew
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

As of right now I am just attending some auto x's. I also drive it on the street and will make some drag passes. I would really like it handle well. I would like to hit up some road courses also. Not sure if I need coil overs or they will be over kill.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor

I wrote a big reply TWICE and it got lost in the internets both times.

Short version: coilovers are not necessarily overkill, it's just another kind of set-up. I think Bilstein HDs and GTWORX sprigns, maybe a few bushings and swaybars would work really well for you, it's just that the Bilsteins have been backordred for 6 or 7 months. They're coming in soon suppodely but we're not sure how many we're getting.

Coilovers are just a strut/shock that happens to be height adjustable and use a standardized type of spring so there are more options in spring rate available. The important parts are still the valving and how it works with the chosen spring rate (and ride height). If the valving sucks, or the car is too low, or the spring rates aren't right, it will still suck, just as it would with a regular strut/shock. Many coilovers do in fact suck and Bilsteins + good springs are better IMO. Bilsteins with GTWORX springs work very well for what you would be doing, a coilover (that's done right, like a custom built AST or a set of Ohlins) would do very well too. Ride smoothly and handle even better simply because you can use stiffer springs than you can with an OEM type regular strut/shock. And with good valving like you get with AST and especially Ohlins, even firm springs ride smoothly. BUT yes you do pay for it.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Jul 21, 2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Andrew,
Do you guys have some information on the Ohlins double adjustable Flag coilovers? More specifically...what's different between the Flag series and the DFV. Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Unfortunately Ohlins Flags are no longer available. They were short on travel, but with higher sprign rates you should be running with them they were very good. Excellent valving and adjustability, and they could take a beating with 0 shock fade. We sold a couple of sets and the users were quite happy with them. One was Dave Mac who did well autocrossing an EVO RS regionally (i think he won an STU pro solo event? not sure) and the other I can't quite remember the name, but he won at least one Redline Time Attack also in an EVO RS for the street tire class at the track near us.

It would be a very good pick up if you found a set used and had them rebuilt.

- Andrew
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Can you get a higher spring rates on just springs to go with the bilstiens? The Ast's look to be a pretty good deal. Are the Ast a pretty good entry level coil over it sounds. I will most likely be in the market over this winter.

Quick Reply: OHLINS are back and better than ever! AST 4100's, JRZ, Whiteline, and GTWORX Springs!